TN: 2017 Dirty & Rowdy Mourvedre Evangelho Vineyard

Second bottle of this in the past six months and every bit as good. The wine was decanted for 1 hour, I find Hardy’s style begs for a decant. I know some don’t like or prefer not to decant. Just do it with all D&R (including whites) wines and thank me later.

Fragrant nose of raspberry and floral rose-violet notes, almost candy like. Fantastic aroma. Flavors follow with red raspberry leading along with darker cherry and some blueberry notes. Spice, graphite and sweet herbal notes round out the flavor profile. Medium acidity, some ripe sweet tannins and smooth texture along with the flavors make this a joy to drink. Impeccably balanced like all D&R wines, 13.3% ABV. Enjoy now or for many years in the future.
PXL_20210616_012704229.jpg

4 Likes

Yep, that’s Evangelho.

1 Like

Tom- Really Great note. Captures this wine well. I need to check in on one soon!

1 Like

Great vineyard and the D&R rendition is always beautiful. I have a bottle on queue to drink soon, thanks for the preview. How long a decant would you say this needs right now?

1 Like

Thanks for the tasting note, Tom!

Out of curiosity, do you serve this wine at room temperature? “Cellar” temperature (slightly cooler)?

1 Like

I generally decant D&R wines for about an hour. It’s hard to describe but these wines are “bursting with energy” and I find the difference between “open 5 minutes and taste” compared to “an hour or more in the decanter” is pretty dramatic and always results in a more cohesive, better balanced wine. Of course this is wine so YMMV.

Drew, generally cellar temp. or slightly warmer for the reds and often the same protocol for the whites. Hardy often has some skin contact in his white wines and they drink much better at cellar temp or warmer. If the white does not see any skin contact I usually cool the wine down a couple degrees below cellar temp. Hope this helps.

Tom

2 Likes