TN: 1947 Cockburn Porto Vintage (Portugal, Douro, Porto)

I do not know the decant time - I got to the party after it was decanted and I forgot to ask.

• 1947 Cockburn Porto Vintage - Portugal, Douro, Porto (6/12/2021)
    Who is Xavier Auerbach and why does he keep showing up on CT and agreeing with me? At David Cohen’s 50th Birthday party. Someone was mathematically challenged so they went for 74 years old. I think this is an outstanding mature vintage port. There was a mélange of spices, citrus, caramel and some ginger. I did not find the alcohol to be overly intrusive. It was very smooth. The color was light tawny. All of the ruby red was gone. There was an elegance in this wine that takes a long time to develop in port, but when it eventually develops, it is exceptional because it has none of the negative characteristics that you find in aged unfortified wines. I drank this after small tastes (for medical reasons) of 7 different 1971 Barolos and a 1971 Latour. Those all tasted tired and old compared to the 1947 Cockburn. My first 1947 port and I know nothing about the vintage other than that 1947 Cheval Blanc is a unicorn wine, but if this is indicative, I need to see if I can steal another one or two somewhere. (96 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

1 Like

In general, it was an outstanding vintage for VP. Hard to find any VP from this vintage these days and not cheap anymore. Glad you enjoyed it!

How would you rank it as a vintage compared to other classic years? I do not think I have had a port older than this bottle since a 1945 I had in 1981.

An awesome classic year lol.

Generally speaking there’s not a duff in the bunch. However they aren’t young anymore so bottle variation does happen at this stage.