TN: 2000 Domaine Tempier Bandol

Seeing that most of the tasting notes on CT described this as past peak I had my expectations properly low. But this was showing beautifully. No decant just PNP. Cork came out pristine, no signs of seepage or poor storage. Nose was beautiful and profound. Tobacco, baked earth, and ripe cherries. Tannins fully resolved. Silky texture. Loads of macerated cherry, prunes, and medjool dates. Tobacco and graphite. Acidity was M+. Truly exceptional. No drop off and after a few hours started to pick up violets on the nose. Oldest Tempier I’d had before this was a 2003 La Migoua that I would only place just a notch above this. Whoever cellared this before I got my hands on it thank you!
IMG_2195.jpg

5 Likes

Can’t for the life of me imagine a 20 year old Tempier would be past its best. Your happy experience is not surprising.

Ct drinking windows in general are mostly a joke. People also just sometimes don’t have a clue. Yesterday I read some notes on Clos de Cortons being past peak at 10 years :joy:

2 Likes

There was a local restaurant with a great wine list that had Tempier from the early to mid nineties for around $70. We went there every month always buying a couple, alongside a few other gems. Sadly we drank most of them, and they raised their prices on the remainder. But all of them were perfectly mature, and none showed signs of real age. through

Bandol is such a bargain. Sitting on a few 2010 Pradeaux I got for like $35 and will last forever.

1 Like

Nice note.

Nothing elicits an eye roll from me more consistently than CT notes that say, “drink up.”

We opened a 2001 Gros Nore Bandol over the weekend which was holding up very well.

Does this have to do with people not being used to drinking older wines? Or more of a question of storage and handling? I find Tempier too monolithic on release but if that volume of fruit was my expectation for a 2000 I would be disappointed.

Mostly from lack of knowledge and experience.

1 Like

I don’t think I’ve ever had a Tempier yet that bit the ghost.

Most doesn t have any idea of older wines.
1985 Migoua last Nov. was great.

The last bottle of 2000 Tempier Bandol I had was in 2017. Very primary and I remember then that I’ll store away and won’t attempt to open another until after 5 years.