TN: 2001 Chateau Haut Brion

I was curious where new release Haut Brion was at. The 2018 is $700 at K&L. The highly rated 2016 is about the same.

I just paid $425 for this 2001. Have seen more than one recent offering around that range.

Puts things in some perspective.

I love the 2001 vintage in general. And it’s drinking so well right now. I’ve recently had Leoville Barton, VCC, and like six bottles of Sociando. Sociando is in a zone.

This is the second time I’ve had this 2001 Haut Brion in six months. It’s an excellent wine. I would say it’s entering its drinking window with some decant time and will likely be totally prime in 3-5. The aromatics on this wine - even with my mildly Covid-stunted nose - are wonderful. Smoky, earthy, wild red berries and tobacco. Impeccable balance on the palate, tannins softening and the red fruit acid giving some lift to the darker plummy merlot fruit. I think the cepage in this vintage had merlot predominant. Caressingly warm fruits, just perfect ripeness for my palate. Worn saddle leather… Some grainy texture with the impression of dry earth and ground cover. Long, balanced finish.

Followed this wine over three hours. Definitely recommend a one+ hour decant. The wine was best by the last glass.

And back to my point above: as so many of us get caught in the hype of new releases, the beauty of Bordeaux is the ease and cost of backfilling. A no-brainer to me on a wine like this.

(95 pts.)

4 Likes

2466ADA7-9D87-49C8-B5EF-DE0A0B8468C3.jpeg

It is 8;30am and your post just made my mouth water. Totally agree about the 2001 vintage comment.

Robert,

Agree with you on the 2001 Haut Brion. Our annual attempt to attempt to compete with the Tucson Lunch Bunch - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers Great find!!!

1 Like

I’ve already been surf fishing!

Early birds, baby!

Didn’t realize it was 350 at the benchmark sale…

Great wine and one of most memorable for me as a Bordeaux-phile. On my first trip to Bordeaux and this vintage was opened/tasted at the chateau.

Thanks for the update on this one, I don’t have much Bordeaux in the cellar (sold most of it off some years ago), but this is one I couldn’t part with, looking forward to trying it soon

2001 Vintage in Bordeaux is excellent/great for wines with high content of merlot grapes ( St. Emilion, Pomerol some Graves/Pessac Leognian). 2001 is overshadowed by 2000 and was somewhat underrated by Robert Parker and has helped keep prices reasonable.
This is great opportunity for Bordeaux lovers to buy great mature wines for lower prices than current releases ( 2016 or 2018).
I realazed how great wines from 2001 were, when I tasted ( probably in 2006) Fombrague, La Tour Carnet, Domain Chevalier and Angelus. Especially Angelus 2001 made me speachless, which is on par with 2000.
I could not belive that Parker rated it “only” 93/100, my personal score ( this was in 2006) 96+/100. I decided to buy more bottle, at that time ca. 100 Euro per bottle. I think in 2008 latest Parker’s score for Angelus 2001 came out - 97/100 and prices skyrocketed.
Coming to Haut Brion 2001 , I am not suprised, I suppose that La Mission 2001 should be great as well.

Excellent note, Robert. Love the vintage, as you know, and love the producer. Hope you caught dinner!

1 Like

Thank you very much for this, especially your assessment of peak! I had the 2001 in 2018 with so-so results but I figured it needed time and am looking forward to revisiting

Have recently bee catching Spanish Mackerel, fun fish on light tackle off the surf! Can’t say it pairs with Haut Brion. Was hoping to hook some venison. I let them go, too lazy to filet them. One bit me yesterday, finger bled like crazy.

I’ve yet to taste a First Growth, and an “off”-vintage Haut Brion has been my target to finally give one a try on the (relative) cheap for some special occasion down the line. Been keeping an eye out for 2001 and 2004 based on several posters’ enthusiastic tasting notes, so this is another check in the '01’s column.

Was that bottle from the BerserkerDay cellar?
Feedback is important for me.

1 Like

Awesome note buddy - thank you for posting!

I don’t have the biggest Bordeaux collection but I do have a couple 01’s that im looking forward to - Angelus and Lafite. Sounds like the Angelus is drinking really well so i might throw that in the decanter one of these days and have at it [cheers.gif]

1 Like

FWIW, 2001 is not an off vintage. It is just a more forward, lighter year for HB. It is markedly better than 2004. I am not sure what this costs, but if the 1996, or 1998 is close to the same price, both are much better than the 2001.

Sorry for the thread drift Robert, but are you liking how the 96 HB is drinking right now Jeff, or would you hold for a bit? Trying to plan my attack for the single bottle that I have.

I’m no Jeffois, but concur, 2001 ain’t no off vintage. And it’s better than 2004. Curious what Jeff says about 1996. I’ve had a 96 Ducru B and Leoville B in the past year that were smokin.

1 Like

Hah yeah I’m a fan of 2001 Bordeaux, the “off” in quotes was more meant to indicate that the market consensus is that it’s less desirable than other more heralded vintages.

You can always read current tasting notes on my site. Either by using the tasting note search function or on producer pages Learn about Chateau Haut Brion Pessac Leognan, Complete Guide

If you only have bottle, I’d wait however.