TN: 1983 Château Cantemerle (France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Haut-Médoc)

• 1983 Château Cantemerle - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Haut-Médoc (6/11/2021)
    top should, cork soaked completely through. Decanted off sediment. Nose is just as you would expect from an almost 40 year old Haut-Medoc. A little bit of bricking, but overall a really stellar color. Classic cassis and leather, really nice length in the finish. Surprising acid and a little tanning still left. First time with the 1983 vintage, but this wine is showing phenomenal right now. Just a classic claret.

Posted from CellarTracker

I paid $79 for this bottle, which is a ridiculous value based on this tasting experience. Unfortunately looking at WSPro, this may have been a one off value buy, but I would argue it’s almost worth the available prices.

2 Likes

Cantemerle, Sociando, Lanessan,some of the best cellar values ever. If anyone feels different please let me know!

1 Like

100% agree.

I wish people would stop saying that though! Looked for more after the first sip…much less of a value

101%!

I’m the Suckling of agreement.

Killer note, AD! I had this wine a few years ago and felt the same. Had a couple 375s of the 1975, which I bought on a flyer thinking 50/50 they dead, and they over-performed as well.

Classic never goes out of style

[cheers.gif]

I wonder if AD will ever figure out how to ride a eval bike . . . .

2 Likes

Went through three of these over the last two years and they were all fantastic. Just classic Bordeaux that was still surprisingly fresh. Wish I had more.

It has been a long time since I pulled the cork from an 83 Cantemerle, but I always thought it knocked the socks off several more expensive wines that year, including Mouton and Ducru. Thanks for the note.

Love the 83 Cantemerle. Was cheap on auction for years.

Nice. Had that a few years ago and remember how floral it was.

http://www.bordeauxwineenthusiasts.com/viewtopic.php?p=61731#p61731

Current release Cantemerle - for the patient - are still quite modestly priced, hardly more than they were a generation ago.

Real fans might want to pick up the book about the estate.

http://www.bordeauxwineenthusiasts.com/viewtopic.php?p=86679#p86679

1 Like

This is indeed such a satisfying classic. I paid $60 for mine not all that many years ago.

Good wine and seemingly always popping in with availability. Last purchased, late 2019, for $60.

I was ready to add in Meyney in your list, with the fighting Viking emoji pasted in, as the late 70’ and 80’s versions have been in same or even better level. But don’t know the style/pricing status these days.

1 Like

The 1980s were a special run at Cantemerle, like it was for so many chateau. The 82, 83, 85, and 89 Cantemerle are all top flight in my book.

Cordier, baby!