TN: 1997 Edmunds St. John Syrah Durell Vineyard (USA, California, Sonoma County)

• 1997 Edmunds St. John Syrah Durell Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County (6/11/2021)
    I was very much looking forward to this but while it was still very good it was also unmistakably on the downslope. My last bottle of it (8 or 9 years ago) still showed very young so I wanted to give this plenty of time to peak.

Still a nice earthy, enjoyable syrah but did not live up to the promise of previous bottles.

Posted from CellarTracker

I enjoyed the 1997 whenever I had it, but it was never a patch on the 1994 or 1995.

I have a mag of 95, haven’t found an occasion yet to pop it.

Single serving size.

Same here!

I got mine via a silent auction at one of the Rhône Rangers grand tastings at Fort Mason in SF. Can’t recall the year. I was the only bidder. $95 out the door. When I told Steve (he was pouring at the event), his reply was “You stole that bottle!”

1 Like

Make sure you do an offline with that one. Bring a mag event and make sure no one drives themselves home! [cheers.gif]

2 Likes

Today is June 12. There is your occasion. It’s really a phenomenal wine but maybe you’ve had it and already know. Maybe my favorite ESJ wine ever.

Wow. That speaks volumes. I have a venue in mind with a few folks from the boards, I’m teeing it up.