BDX 2014 vs. 2015 vs. 2016

Hey gang

Was curious to start a thread on these 3 consecutive vintages.

Clearly it is very very early, but wanted to hear people’s thoughts on what they bought and why?

Obviously massive marks for the vintages 2015s and 2016s, but I actually find the 2014s to generally have a more classic styling particularly across most of the left bank that will make them not only meaningfully more approachable in their youth but also stylistically more attractive over atleast the medium term. There are clearly big time wines in the 2015 and 2016 vintages with unbelievable bones and pedigree but many I would venture are also meaningfully different in their youth than other “top vintages”. When I say meaningfully different I mean they are much bigger and fruitier cores in their youth, and higher in alcohol.

Would love to hear everyone’s thoughts, including relative value obviously given 2014’s massive discount to 15 and 16

I dunno about the styles, but I think 2014 is cracking QPR

1 Like

There have been a lot of threads on this topic, at least a lot of posts. We are definitely fortunate to have had so many very decent vintages almost back to back. I went big on 2014, it is a perfect, classically styled vintage for my palate. I only bought a few 2015 as I find the vintage a bit ripe, sort of like I did 2009, where my preference was 2008 and 2010. I have started to buy more and more 2016 wines, and I’m personally finding this to be an excellent vintage. It is arguably better than 2014, but I really do like the classic balance of 2014. And the pricing was fantastic if you bought in futures.

A few 2014s that are highlights to me:

GPL
Sociando is best in years
Haut Bailly
Lanessan is a ridiculous value
Calon Segur
Leoville Barton
Montrose
Figeac
Lalande is a star

2 Likes

I love the 2014s for current drinking and I guess they will be a lot of fun to drink over the coming one, two decades. There a really a few very beautiful wines and as Robert said, it is a more classically styled vintage with not so much ripeness. I didn’t buy much (some VCC, Pichon Lalande, Montrose, Ducru Beaucaillou, GPL with the VCC drinking absolutely great these days).

Compared to 2014 and 2016, however, the 2014 vintage has generally much, much less depth (as well as touch less precision). They’re not on the same planet in that regard and will never reach the same peaks as the best 15s/16s. I went more long on the 2015s which is a more solar vintage (although less and less alcoholic than 2018) and massively long on the 2016s (which is again more classically shaped but with a depth and focus and elegance I didn’t found to the same degree in 09/10/14/15/18/19 - especially that broad in so many wines in all price ranges). I’ve tasted a bunch of 2015s last year in a 5y-on horizontal and most of them showed brillantily. Will do the same this year with the 2016s but I guess this vintage is much more tightly knit and muted right now.

When Wine Spectator put Canon La Gaffeliere 2014 on their 100 top wine list, a dealer friend of mine bought the last cases at a negociant and we worked through 6 bottles very quickly. Very delicious and ready in a modern Saint Emilion-slash-California way, no doubt…the only 2014 BDX I ever bought and drank. I went longer on 2015s than 2016s: the 2016 Pomerols I tested I quickly consumed… maybe I was lucky, but the ones I had were actually ripe and ready in a seductive first fruit phase when delivered … whereas the 2015s I bought I have not touched at all: Montrose, Canon, Pontet Canet and the 1sts. This thread has made me curious now about them so maybe I will crack a few soon to test…

I should have also listed two other wines where I went deep:

VCC
L’Eglise Clinet.

I cannot argue with Andy’s assessment of 2016 but obviously have a much higher assessment of 2014 than he does, which of course is just two dudes with slightly differing opinions. And of course, 15 and 16 being more faves of the critics, they cost a lot more too.

My last 2015 was a month or so ago, the Ausone. A ridiculously hedonistic wine that prolly grabs 100s from some, I found it just teetering on the verge of too much for my palate. Wish I could try the 2014.

Ausone and Haut Brion are my fave 1sts. Bar none. Exception to the rule is the occasional old bottle of Mouton or Cheval that shines like sacred fire.

We were able to taste these 3 vintages at the UGC events in San Francisco. Some very general thoughts, excluding the 1st Growths, which I have not tried:

2014 – As others have mentioned, classic style and well-priced. A great vintage for Sauternes, and for White Bordeaux. Perhaps similar to the 2001’s for the red wines.
2015 – An excellent vintage, especially on the Right Bank, and in Margaux and Pessac. Ripe wines but not over the top. Brane Cantenac, Haut Bailly and Canon were our favorites. The 2015 D’Yquem is profound.
2016 – The best vintage of the trio, IMO. The Left Bank is tremendous, especially in Pauillac and St. Julien. Both Pichons are fantastic. We have more 2016 than the other 2 vintages.

I went North Médoc in 2014, South Médoc and Pessac-Léognan in 2015, and back north again in 2016. I don’t think that 14 was universally strong but from say senejac and upwards I am enjoying it. 2015 includes better wines for my tastes even further down to petit Château level.

I’m higher on 2014 as well. I think it’s somewhat similar to, but better than 01.

Anybody here tried 2015 Pavie? Would like to hear some reviews from people on this board. Picked up 2 bottles.

Ed, on the Sauternes front, I agree on 2014 as a great year. I often find young Rieussec a bit top-heavy, but 2014 has nervy thrills galore. Also, Climens made a stunning 2016, even if many other estates were less successful.

1 Like

Vince T wrote:
Ed, on the Sauternes front, I agree on 2014 as a great year. I often find young Rieussec a bit top-heavy, but 2014 has nervy thrills galore. Also, Climens made a stunning 2016, even if many other estates were less successful.

Thanks, Vince! I have not tried the 2016 Climens yet, but will now seek it out! Regarding the Rieussec, the 2015 is also very good. I found enough acidity to offset the sheer power.

Cheers,
Ed