Two Lovely Grenache. 2018 Sandlands Grenache SCC, 2018 Jolie Laide Grenache Provisor Vineyard

I love the aromas and flavors of grenache. When done right it can be both substantial yet almost weightless in flavor and texture. I despise grenache that is boozy, over oaked or have roasted dried fruit notes. Looking at you Cdp :slight_smile:. For many years California grenache had a miserable reputation, deservedly so. Having said that when thoughtful winemakers like Tegan Passalacqua and Scott Schultz work with grenache it becomes everything it can be. If you want to know what grenache is all about try these two wines.

2018 Sandlands Grenache Santa Clara County: I believe the grapes are from the famed Besson Vineyard (100+ old vines) but does not say so on the label. Very aromatic nose of wild cherry, garden strawberry and fennel. Flavors of floral raspberry, wild strawberry, cranberry, crushed fresh herbs and pepper. Nice streak of minerals, good acidity and tannins start to step in on the long finish. This wine is balanced and so elegant yet shows great power. Outstanding grenache, hoping this is an annual for Tegan. Only old wood used so the wine only is front and center. 13.4 ABV

2018 Jolie Laide Grenache Provisor Vineyard Dry Creek Valley: The grapes are all crushed by foot and fermented whole cluster, with nothing more than gentle punch downs throughout. Pressed to old, neutral French oak barrique for a 10-month elevage. Effusive nose of strawberry, raspberry and a touch of wild basil. Flavors of juicy red raspberry, ripe strawberry, cinnamon stick, graphite and fennel. Mouthfeel gives a stony impression with good acidity and tannins that get your attention but fit with the flavor profile. Scott Schultz has the Midas touch with this grape every vintage. Beautiful grenache, 12.8 ABV

2018 Sandlands Grenache Santa Clara County
PXL_20210315_013355307.jpg
2018 Jolie Laide Grenache Provisor Vineyard Dry Creek Valley
PXL_20210329_020844416.jpg

3 Likes

A bit sad I didn’t get that wine last year now, but have to pass on something every time!

In the same vein are the Tribute to Grace Grenache wines. I haven’t had them all but so far find the Vie Caprice really wonderful in the few vintages I’ve tasted. Really pure, richly fruited but in no way over the top.

Dan, I know exactly what you mean, too many wines and not enough money :slight_smile: Been meaning to try the Tribute to Grace grenache, have heard nothing but praise about their wines. Thanks for the reminder. Unti, Tablas Creek and a few others are also on my radar to try.

Tom

Thanks for the notes. I haven’t opened the 18 Sandlands yet but have opened the Jolie Laide and agree it’s really good. I think everything Scott makes is great and so food friendly. We have have already taken down half a case of his rose this year.

1 Like

Glenn, totally agree with you. Every wine Scott makes is always so balanced and integrated, even when young. One of our favorite domestic producers.

Tom

thanks for notes, Jolie Laide is a new brand to me. I love a Grenache that has elegance as a primary characteristic

Thanks for the notes - love the variety and how folks are exploring different ‘styles’ to make it in.

It wasn’t too long ago that I was ‘dissed’ for saying that Grenache could and does make a beautiful wine on its own and does not necessarily need other varieties to ‘fill it in’. Folks now understand that what it brings to the table does not need to be big and bold and dark - it can be and I love those takes on the variety as long as they still hold on to the ‘typicity’ of the variety.

Cheers

Kirk, if elegance is important you do need to try the Jolie Laide.

Larry, I have been saying for the past couple years that all those people that enjoy elegant, perfumed, structured pinot noir would fall in love with grenache made in the style of Sandlands and Jolie Laide.

Who knows, in the future maybe a “Sideways Movie” type event will give grenache the publicity it needs.

Tom

1 Like

I think someone needs to start the ‘Big Grenache/Mourvedre/Carignane/Cinsault’ thread . . .

Cheers

There is awesome, world-class Grenache being made today in California!

There has been for quite some time - folks are now just realizing it - and as I said before, not expecting these wines to be something that they’re not.

Cheers