TN: 2020 Keller „von der Fels“ - Holy moly!

2020 Keller „von der Fels“

It is clear from the get-go that KP made a very special von der Fels for his 20 year anniversary, as the first von der Fels vintage from Julia&KP was 2000. I can’t remember a von der Fels with such high degree of elegance, balance and complexity ever. It seems that the 2 barrels of Abtserde are responsible for the more in depth and elegance. And surprisingly such charming right from the start, despite just bottled a few weeks ago. In addition the classic Keller signature: purity, precision and finesse.

Holy moly!

I have to mention that 2 barrels of Abtserde and 1 barrel each of Morstein, Kirchspiel and Hubacker went into the von der Fels. First time ever. And of course also the perfect weather conditions of 2020 plays its role. After the first sip it came immediately to my mind that Julia&KP wanted to make something special for the anniversary. Everyone would do something special for such a milestone and moment in life. Hip Hip Hurra

Bottom line, don’t miss it.

IMG_6029.jpg
P.S. after opening the bottle on Monday, I continue drinking today ( 2 days later) Oh la la…what a limestone minerality and what a power. That’s MORSTEIN
What a thrill this 2020 von der Fels. Again, it’s really surprising how open it is despite bottled just 3-4 weeks ago.

Really fascinating, on Monday the focus was on elegance&depth which reminded me on ABTSERDE. And 2 days later it changed to MORSTEIN with minerality&power.

4 Likes

I don’t plan to miss it. Thanks for the note Martin. Maybe soon we’ll actually see some 2020 wines hit stateside.

Great note. I hope to snag a couple when they become available in the U.S. this year (or next).

I might even try some!

1 Like

Thanks for the TN. Did you get a chance to compare the 2020 to the 2019?

Yes, the 2019 is quite closed now and also was at release. No doubt, 2019 is terrific too. Very pure (!) and very mineral driven.

2020 has in my view more depth and more elegance, but fair to say we will find out in the coming years. But it seems that the 2 barrels of Abtserde is responsible for the more in depth and elegance. After the first sip it came immediately to my mind that Julia&KP wanted to make something special for the anniversary. Everyone would do something special for such a milestone and moment in life. Hip Hip Hurra

This is probably the only wine I plan to buy from the 2020 vintage.

Thanks for that run-down. 2020 is definitely more elegant. Too bad the 2019 was closed down. It has alot of profound substance IMO.

You also tasted 2020 already?

Indeed, “profound substance” nails it. I won’t touch a 2019 bottle in the next 5 years.

Now that’s some restraint.

1 Like

Everything in my budget is going into 2019’s.

After opening the bottle on Monday, I continue drinking today. Oh la la…what a limestone minerality and what a power. That’s MORSTEIN
What a thrill this 2020 von der Fels. Again, it’s really surprising how open it is despite bottled just 3-4 weeks ago.

Really fascinating, on Monday the focus was on elegance&depth which reminded me on ABTSERDE. And today it changed.

What’s a budget?

1 Like

It’s an artificial limit you set so you know how much more you’ve spent than you theoretically should have done.

1 Like

Another wine that I wish I had bought more of when it was more readily available.

In our house, a budget is permission to spend. We agree on a price for the full year, put that money aside the year before in savings, and then on 1 January we move that money into “kirk’s wine buying account”. I then have free reign to spend the budget however I want…

Better than a choker collar.

It’s better than being in debt too. neener

Alot of wine critics certainly hyped the German 2019 vintage, “Is 2019 Germany’ 100-point vintage?” “The 2019 vintage is the best vintage I have ever tasted for German riesling in my four-decade career.” (Stuart Pigott) Accordingly, alot of my wine budget has gone into purchasing 2019 GGs, many more than I would ordinarily purchase. From what I have so far tasted, I do think the 2019 vintage is a very special vintage.

Oh, I just meant that all of my budget is going into buying 2019’s from areas & producers I love. It’s going to monopolize my purchases for the next 2-3 years as that’s when I got married.