Your cellar outlier

I am curious about people’s cellar outliers.

With an outlier i mean wines that a pretty far from what you would normally fill your cellar with, but somehow caught your attention enough to add it to your collection.

For me an example is Chateau Simone Blanc. I had a 2001 a few years back and it just blew my mind. So i added some to my collection even though its pretty far from the wines i normally look for.

What is yours and why did you buy them?

I have a small collection of more modern, riper California Cabernets that are pretty much outside my normal preferences.

Me too. For guests, friends, family, clients, dad, etc. An important staple of have!

And I have like 2 Burgs. [cheers.gif]

My cellar is very eclectic an unapologetically unfocused but if I have to choose an outlier it would definitely be the 2016 Spottswoode Cabernet Sauvignon

For me, the easy answer would be 2015 Beaux Frères Pinot Noir Beaux Frères Vineyard, but since I received that as a present, that would not be fair.

But, leaving aside a few bottles that I have received as gifts, maybe my small collection of Beaujolais. I become curious several years ago as to how Cru Beaujolais tastes with age and bought a number of bottles as an experiment. Now, I am starting to open the bottles.

2005 Coudert Fleurie Clos de la Roilette
2005 Domaine Diochon Moulin-à-Vent
2009 Joseph Drouhin Morgon
2009 Jean Foillard Morgon Côte du Py
2009 Louis Jadot Moulin-à-Vent Château des Jacques
2009 Thibault Liger-Belair Moulin-à-Vent Vieilles Vignes
2009 Pierre-Marie Chermette Brouilly Pierreux
2008 Pierre-Marie Chermette Moulin-à-Vent Les Trois Roches
2009 Domaine des Terres Dorées (Jean-Paul Brun) Moulin-à-Vent
2013 Château Thivin Côte de Brouilly

[wow.gif]

Probably 5 years ago, I bought a mixed case of various Cantillon beers from someone on this board. I drank 6 or so and liked them well enough, but I drink very little beer so the other 6 have just sat. Now they’re getting aged (I think all are '13-14 bottlings). I suppose I should pop another one at some point.

I’ve been getting into more Cali Sav Blancs so I have been adding those to my collection. Still only a very small amount though.

:rofl:

Edit: forget what I wrote. I do actually have some Pattes Loup. So guess i do own some Burgundy.

I have a bunch of SQN. I enjoy one every so often, but they are nothing like the other wines in the cellar.

If I could be bothered I’d sell the lot. Too much like work.

I have maybe a case of brunello, no idea when I’d ever drink it.

a 6 pack of 2013 Dominus, the start and finish of my American wine collection

Awhile back I met Albert Ventura, a winemaker in Penedes, and really enjoyed his wines. I have a few bottles in the cellar now, and they are pretty far from my normal options.

Cool thread, fun to see the exceptions.

In Autumn with tomato based pasta sauce

1 Like

What are the two Burgs that make the cave at Chez Alfert? Inquiring minds want to know!

I have a bottle of Peter Michael L’Apres Midi Sauvignon/Sémillon that I bought after enjoying an Eisele Sauvignon Blanc kicking around in offsite. This thread has reminded me to maybe drink it soon!

There’s certainly nothing like it amongst the other stuff in there. Oh, and a bottle of ‘06 Ùnico that I received as a gift.

I have 1 bottle (of 3) left of 2006 Anderson Conn Valley Cabernet Sauvignon, alcohol 15%, something I usually stay far away from.

Nice having well-heeled friends!

Ha! I’m out of town, but from memory it’s something from Jouan and a Beaune Greves that Keith L recommended I buy years ago from PC. Cannot recall the producer. I know, it makes no sense.

Macdonald. The only California wine in my cellar.