RIP Jim Clendenen

Raj Parr just posted on Instagram.

One of those bigger than life types and a damned skilled winemaker.

RIP.

Fuck me running. Goddammit. He was a friend even if we didnā€™t know each other super well and barely saw one another. Nothing but great times and memories. Way, way too early. Searingly sad. Crushing.

Ugh. A legend. RIP.

So saddened by this. He was a legend in our wine community, and such a larger-than-life figure. He was still cranking out brilliant, singular wines year after year. Such a huge loss. RIP.

That is sad, sad news. He was one of my favorite winemakers, and always really wonderful to see at IPNC. Itā€™s hard to grasp his influence and importance to American winemaking. He was larger than life, but right on target. RIP

Wow, a real shock and very sad news. As Jorge noted above, Jim was a larger-than-life personality - and of course a brilliant winemaker.

I had the privilege of attending one of the staff lunches at ABC / Qupe along with a few friends about five years ago - Jim was a great cook and he prepared a bunch of delicious dishes for us. He also pulled out a couple of his 2004 Pinots for us to try after my friends and I mentioned weā€™d been disappointed by a couple of other 2004 Pinots at a recent dinner - super generous of him (and of course his Pinots were far better than the others weā€™d opened). We had such a wonderful time talking with him at the lunch table that day. Without question one of the most memorable visits with a winemaker that Iā€™ve ever had.

RIP Jim.

3 Likes

The wine world lost a legend!

This is terrible news. First met Jim at SamHaleā€™s wnry in LosAlamosā€¦ with MaryVigarosa manhandling barrels nearby at 90+ yrs of age. And BobLindquist as well.
He was a fabulous cook and always reserved me the RobertParker seat at the lunch tableā€¦ the one with the big space carved out for RMPā€™s belly.
I really hoped he died from a heart attack whilst shooting a jump shot from the top of the circle. His passion for BB rivaled that of his passion for PinotNoir.
Tom

1 Like

Damn! Rip and condolences to his family. Legend!

Just heard from family and friends- so sad. RIP brother. Weā€™ve shared some wonderful times together snd they shall always be treasured.

I never met the man but I owe him a debt of gratitude. When I got into wine in my late 20s I cut my teeth on Au Bon Climat Pinot and Chardonnay. Those wines were very much of their place and imbued with Old World sensibility ā€” lower alcohol and made to age.

Their low-octane ā€œBurgundianā€ style directly led me to explore the real thing ā€¦ the rest is sordid history!

I will open up one of my older Isabelle wines tomorrow night to celebrate a true California trailblazer and evangelist.

I saw this on Morganā€™s Facebook page. Condolences to friends and family

So sad. To new into this industry to have known him, just drank his great wines. RIP.

Fuck! This hurts.

1 Like

Holy shit - was out all day visiting my 94 year old mom and just heard this. Totally out of the blue and this one hurts just like other greats in our industry who have been gone way too young.

Jim had a bigger than life personality and seemed to live his life as such each and every day. I had the pleasure of watching his kids Knox and Isabella grow up and become fantastic young adults.

Jim was one of the most ā€˜consistentā€™ winemakers Iā€™ve ever meet - he was making ā€˜burgundian-style winesā€™ way before it became ā€˜fashionā€™ and continued to do so.

Man he will be missed . . .

One of the most wonderful guys I have ever met in my wine career - thanks to him we started looking further afield than France and started importing Au Bon Climat. Still have the occasional bottle from the 80s and 90s in my cellar, but more importantly some incredible memories of time with Jim, at the winery, in London, Burgundy and elsewhere. Deep shock.

RIP Jim. Many great times at IPNCā€™s and at Jasper and Abbyā€™s Hospice parties drinking great wines.

Jim and I used to take a lot of wine to the IPNC from our cellars. Mike, wherever Jim is he has a warm spot in his heart for youā€¦because you too brought wine from your cellar!!

It is hard for me to write something serious now, but some day I will.

3 Likes

Condolences to all of his family and friends. He had some pretty close friends here in ATL. A unique individual who made iconic wines. RIP.

1 Like

OMG, this man was notā€¦that ā€¦old! Wow, he truly moved the California wine world to consider broadening horizons on what pinot and chardonnay could be. A tragedy for sure. He touched many lives in his work that his friends and family will never know. A loss for sure. RIP-ABC.