Impressions 5-15-21

Wine impressions 5-15-21

2010 Ladd Cellars, Pinot Noir Anderson Valley - gnarly, angry and disjointed on opening; with one glassful missing, recorked and put in the cooler overnight; next day, a beautiful, perfumed, elegant Pinot with structure, balance and intensity. I’ve not experienced a wine change this much in a day. From “pour it down the drain” to “pour me another glass” - a hell of a transformation. And a good lesson.

2017 Louis Michel, Chablis Montee de Tonnerre - slightly angular upon opening but quickly came together to show grand cru depth and quality, despite its premier cru designation. No doubt, aging will allow development but this was all I could ask now. A great wine.

2017 Dirty & Rowdy, Mourvèdre Evangelho - soulful, driven by a core of goodness that I can only describe as the life blood of the vineyard, and marked by a remarkable lightness. As good a CA red wine as I’ve had.
(Aside: the label tends to fade with age; the wine does not.)

2011 Lagier Meredith, Syrah - 13.7% abv which, from Mt. Veeder, speaks to the vintage (which, IMO, is one of the best on the north coast of CA in awhile). A Syrah that I wish I had made; earthy, olive, sauvage and the fruit is only part of the mix. A terrific wine with complexity, balance and ready to delight now.

2004 Gorrondona, Bizkaiko Txakolina - Hondarrabi Beltza fermented in stainless from the Basque region of Spain; immensely tannic, herbal like an old school Chinon and, with pork chop, potatoes and snap peas, about as good as one could ask. There is some crazy stuff in my cellar and, occasionally, it surprises.

2002 Joel Taluau, St.-Nicolas-de-Bourgueil VV - much like the Basque wine noted above, this begins tannic, herbal and unpleasant . . . except with the food - and there it works well. Not the same depth and mellowness as the Basque wine but an affinity for pasta with Mt. Lassen trout and pea shoot pesto. And FWIW, it does not seem to be diminishing. Not my favorite but certainly of interest.

2017 Cowan Cellars, Ribolla Gialla - getting better as it goes and it was already delicious.

Best, jim

4 Likes

Jim, thank you for posting here. I have followed your notes for many years and always appreciate the thought you put into them.

1 Like

Thank you for the Lagier Meredith note. I struggled with the 2011 on release, and so buried my bottles in the hope that time would help. Sounds like it’s time to dig up a bottle.