If you had to choose...: Beaune or Nuits ?

Yes. If you had to choose between drinking only wines from Côte de Beaune or Côte de Nuits for the rest of your life -
What would your choice be - and why?

I’m interested to see what preferences members have here. Would you choose one over the other because you have a favourite village, or producer,
or style, because of drinking primarily reds/whites? etc etc.

I’m currently too new into Burgundy to answer myself. I would say, though, that my current focus is Beaune reds, but I want to try a diversity of wines.

1 Like

this is a closeted “do you like white or red” question.

VR+GC reds and PM+Meursault whites were I forced to choose a small number of villages. in other words, Côte d’Or, please.

It’s Nuits even close for me.

One has 2 children. Which do you love better? [scratch.gif]

1 Like

Had to choose - Nuits.
The only reason is I think other places on the planet can provide acceptable substitutions to much of Beaune reds (not Volnay) and I am less inclined to chase top white burgundy for the past 15 years.
When I have an itch for specific Vosne, Chambolle or Gevrey, nothing in the world is a substitute for those.

[highfive.gif]

If you had to choose…: Beaune or Nuits ?

Yes.

1 Like

Assuming I’m buying and haven’t won the lottery, Beaune. I’ve pretty much already chosen Beaune plus NSG as it is, due to price.

1 Like

only beaune i love is volnay and thats really just lafarge and d’angerville.

so many other options in nuits…has to be nuits.

That’s nasty. Last great dilemma, garlic, onions and relatives near and far or wine. It was close run, but wine won.

This is more clear cut. Nuits, as I have stopped drinking whites because of premox, and don’t miss them any more.

This is where I am, even if the question was just for red. The value in Burgundy is in St. Aubin, Aloxe, Pernand, Savigny.

Who’s paying?

You.
And the question is covering both red and white.

Nuits.

And it’s not even remotely close.

I’m currently exploring Beaune mainly. Volnay, Pommard, red Chassagne-Montrachet. is it such a bad thing? :slight_smile:

For Nuits, what villages should I look for? GC, Chambolle, Morey-St-Denis? Fixin?

I see what you did there

So I’d have to stop drinking whites almost entirely? That seems like a terrible trade. I’d be quite happy with a consistent diet of Carillon BBM and old Potel Volnay.

1 Like

I choose both. I am unfair and greedy.I drink well.

Based on the balance in my cellar, Nuits dominates (65% to 35%) so I take Nuits. My current Beaune holdings are 88% White and 12% red so, as it was mentioned earlier in the thread, this is really a white vs red choice for me. Forced to choose, I would forgo Beaune and replace the whites with Champagne, Jura, Riesling etc. While not a perfect substitute it’s better than the alternative.

1 Like

Exactly. 20 years ago the vast majority of my Burgundy purchases were Nuits. Now they’re Beaune.