TN: Willi Schaefer, Graacher Himmelreich Riesling Spatlese 2006

Oh man, this is a wine that’ll make you weak in the knees! Just absolutely classic German Riesling at a really high level. It is drinking so incredibly well, with perfect integration of flavors and balance of fruit/minerals/acid.

There is a beautiful softness that is just starting to round off the jagged corners of youth. This bottle contains an incredible amount of youthful energy, but it is tempered just a touch with age. Flavors are lemon curd, lime, and fresh flowers, with a core of minerality. The fruit evolves as you swirl the wine around your mouth from fresh lemon/lime to orange marmalade and ripe peaches. Characteristic German Riesling petrol is discernible but in no way overpowering and harmonizes with the other flavors rather than awkwardly sticking out like in some lower quality wines. Sweetness is present but perfectly in balance with the acidity. This wine will last a long time, but is so good right now, I see no reason to wait.

I prefer the Domprobst, but WS Spatlesen with a bit of age are just wonderful!

Funny how the wine of dean of the cathedral is supposed to be better than the wine of the kingdom of Heaven!

Actually there are usually 2 wines for the dean of the cathedral: the 5 and the 10/y+1 version

Actually there are usually 3 versions of the Domprobst - the 5, the 10 and the 13, which is an auction wine.

And all the wines, Himmelreich, Domprobst and Sonnenuhr, are excellent year after year.

And just an FYI because we are playing AP number bingo, I have the 2006 AP #12 Domprobst Spatlese. So the whole #5, #10, #13 thing is not always the case.

Hence the word “usually” rather than “always” in the posts you are responding to.

Since I am a bit bored, I looked:

#9 was the auction wine in 2011
#11 in 2010
#4 in 2009
#6 in 2008
#18 in 2007
#4 in 2006

before then it seems a lot more random.

But since 2011 it’s totally consistent.

Russell,
Do you often buy auction wines? Are they better than “normal” cuvees.

Yes, and, sometimes.

:wink: