TN: 2013 Pierre Péters Champagne Les Chetillons

• 2013 Pierre Péters Champagne Grand Cru Cuvée Speciale Blanc de Blancs Les Chetillons - France, Champagne, Champagne Grand Cru (5/12/2021)
    Nose: The nose is pristine, aromatic, fresh, and vibrant with a bit of nuance to the tones of pears, red and green apples, lemon peels, white fruits, peaches, quince, saline, ginger, crushed rocks, biscuits, warm dough, and a touch of baking spices. This shows all of the complexity that the 2012 possesses, but with a more subtle side that really draws you in.

Taste: The feel is Medium bodied with tart, high acidity. Even though there is a lot of youthful verve to the acidity, it’s fairly integrated and balanced already. The feel is regal and deep with pears, red and green apples, lemon peels, white fruits, peaches, saline, ginger, crushed rocks, biscuits, and some warm dough.

Overall: I really don’t know how I will be able to keep my hands off of this to let it age properly. This is flat out gorgeous with a lot of freshness, balance, and salinity that pretty much sums up all of the things I love about Les Chetillons. Simply put, this is a stellar bottling and a very worthy champagne to have in one’s collection. (94 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

3 Likes

Thank you for the early look! Glad to have socked away a couple of magnums

just be sure to bury them deep or keep them at a good distance from you! champagne.gif

Yeah, I had a 2012 a few months ago and all the 13’s immediately went to the offsite. I can wait.

Had one last night Keith. Very, very good.

1 Like

Darn… and here I was thinking I could keep my bottles in the dark for a while before my first taste. Your TN is making me itch to pop one open.

Went long on this, to the tune of 12 fifths and 9 mags. Glad to hear that it is showing well.

Opened a 750, bought a few mags. Great wine

I opened a bottle this weekend and went back and bought 6 more and a mag… Blew me away… debating if I should pick up another mag or two after your note!
IMG_5660.jpeg

I was just going to say Jeremy posted a TN today on his aptly titled “Six of the Best” thread

Thanks to both of you. I typically visit my PP Chetilons once upon arrival, then hide the rest for 5-10. I opened an '08 last summer and loved it, but thought it was far from its prime drinking window. 2009 was more precocious, and I’ve already drunk all of mine (I made the same mistake with multiple champagnes; bought too little of the '09s to save funds for the later release of '08s…slight thread drift brought on by regret…)

Cheers,
Warren

I assume this means you think the 2012 needs a lot more time? Asking for a friend who only owns one bottle…

[dance-clap.gif]

How was the '12 compared to '13?

Haven’t opened the 13, but the 12 is a wonderful champagne that needs (for me) a few more years to take a little of the edge (read acid) off, after which it should be pretty perfect

Thank you Andrew. I asked because I heard that Chardonnay was not as good as Pinot Noir in Champagne region in 2012.

Hey Frederico, I heard similar, but don’t think the Chetillons showed any lack of quality or potential. The main thing for me was that the acid just overpowered the fruit a bit too much at this point in its lifecycle (and I LOVE acid in my champange), so while I think a few years will help it, by no means do I think it needs (though it could take) a decade…I will likely open my next bottle some time in the Fall to see how it’s progressing.

glad to read good comments on both 12 & 13.

IMO, the 12 can definitely use another 5+ years to fully come together. Though I do wonder what a lot of 12s will turn into when the exuberant fruit starts to dial back a bit

While I don’t have a ton of experience with older Les Chetillons, I’ve noticed the sweet spot for it begins at about 12-15 years of age but I’ve also had an 04 and 05 within the last 24 months that came off as more mature than I’d have expected.

I just drank a great magnum of Peters 2013 Cuvee de Reserve. Chetillons must be super.

If you have not tried it yet, I would suggest that you pick yourself up a bottle. It is special.

1 Like