Why do pro critics think Orin Swift Wines are good?

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
RichardFlack
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Why do pro critics think Orin Swift Wines are good?

#201 Post by RichardFlack »

Mich@el Ch@ng wrote: May 17th, 2021, 7:02 am They’re a good wine for an outdoor bbq where you’re drinking with plastic glasses and the emphasis isn’t on the wine. You won’t feel like you’re drinking utter swill. Would bedrock ovz be better in that situation? Of course, but I wouldn’t turn it down if offered. Yes they’re likely not a good value, as we know, but are widely available.
Isn’t that what Cotes du Rhône or Crozes Hermitage is for?

RichardFlack
GCC Member
GCC Member

#202 Post by RichardFlack »

Robert.A.Jr. wrote: May 17th, 2021, 7:05 am
Mich@el Ch@ng wrote: May 17th, 2021, 7:02 am They’re a good wine for an outdoor bbq where you’re drinking with plastic glasses and the emphasis isn’t on the wine. You won’t feel like you’re drinking utter swill. Would bedrock ovz be better in that situation? Of course, but I wouldn’t turn it down if offered. Yes they’re likely not a good value, as we know, but are widely available.

Does any wine actually pair well with BBQ? Pass me the beers! Actually, I do think a more high-acid red wine could work, but I’ll stick with beer. A restaurant my son and I like serves fancy southern fusion but definitely on the saucy side, we stick with Old Fashioneds.
Er, exactly what is on the BBQ? My red wine BBQ sauce is expressly concocted to give a wine friendly result with steaks or other beef cuts.
Or, garlic shrimp and Assyrtiko ...
Let’s not over think this guys.

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#203 Post by John Morris »

Just received this in a retailer's e-mail. It's undated.
"Readers looking for personality filled wines of considerable character and complexity need to check out the Orin Swift offerings. They are not shy wines in any respect, but the quality is obvious, and if you are like me and believe that a wine is to be judged on just how delicious it is, you will be as impressed as I have been with the Orin Swift products." -Robert Parker
To Parker's credit, he signals that these might not appeal to AFWE types.
"I'll pay you five gallons of petrol and a valentine nailed to the forehead of the last lawyer you loved." -- Tom Waits to David Lynch

"But they told me there would be a hand basket."

Tom R W

#204 Post by Tom R W »

Arv R wrote: May 9th, 2021, 5:36 pm I have a friend who does know/like/spend$ on wine, and they've tried pouring these* for me a few times with the 'try it you'll like it'. I thought they were ok, but didn't see the fuss he was making. He tends to like New World wines much more though.

On the bright side its good that there are different tastes, and different wines ... it would be very boring if there was only thing to drink.

* I realize now that I was confusing Owen Roe with Orin Swift. Ignore everything I said before (on this comment)
I’m laughing my a$$ off with Arv! My immediate thought was, “What’s John talking about?! I rather like ‘Sinister Hand’ and it’s a great value!”

Back to Orin Swift- our country club has a wine club that meets monthly for tastings. We’re always trying diff things to generate interest for those less experienced with wine. By far the most positive feedback we’ve received were for the Michael David and Orin Swift tastings.
I call them ‘sledgehammer wines’ and they’re not my thing, but do have some “Eight Years in the Desert” in the cellar.
W a r r e n

Matthew Brown

#205 Post by Matthew Brown »

John Morris wrote: May 21st, 2021, 6:44 am Just received this in a retailer's e-mail. It's undated.
"Readers looking for personality filled wines of considerable character and complexity need to check out the Orin Swift offerings. They are not shy wines in any respect, but the quality is obvious, and if you are like me and believe that a wine is to be judged on just how delicious it is, you will be as impressed as I have been with the Orin Swift products." -Robert Parker
Is this a recent quote from RP, or are they resurrecting one from the past? There's a bit of a 'hey, have you heard of these guys?' feel to the quote that makes me wonder if this was from his earlier reviews when Prisoner first broke out. IIRC, the first years they were sourcing from Evangelho and some other noteworthy sites, so the praise was much more warranted.
Needs a make on a white pimpmobile

crickey
GCC Member
GCC Member

#206 Post by crickey »

Matthew Brown wrote: May 21st, 2021, 11:23 am
John Morris wrote: May 21st, 2021, 6:44 am Just received this in a retailer's e-mail. It's undated.
Is this a recent quote from RP, or are they resurrecting one from the past? There's a bit of a 'hey, have you heard of these guys?' feel to the quote that makes me wonder if this was from his earlier reviews when Prisoner first broke out. IIRC, the first years they were sourcing from Evangelho and some other noteworthy sites, so the praise was much more warranted.
October 2016 from his last reviews of OS wines (2015 vintage), around the time Gallo purchased the winery/brand. However, he was pretty enthusiastic in earlier reviews as well.
Chri$ Ri¢k€y

John Glas
GCC Member
GCC Member

#207 Post by John Glas »

My son's end of the year golf banquet is featuring the following sodas (pop for some of you). Will report back on the tasting notes.

Dr. Pepper
Pepsi
Coke
Mountain Dew
Barq's Root Beer
Sprite

RH Drexel

#208 Post by RH Drexel »

Critics are individuals and have differing palates. The key seems to be to align one's palate with a critic whose choices one enjoys. Some people don't need critics, others do. I don't use wine critics myself, as a consumer, as I'm pretty adventurous and like to try all kinds of stuff. I'm less confident in my understanding of film, for example, so I lean on critics like Elvis Mitchell and David Denby to help guide my choices. I simply don't have the time or knowledge to wade through every film choice on my own.

Re: Orin Swift. These wines are too big for me personally but I know plenty of folks with good taste who enjoy them. Whatever floats your boat.
Sao Anash
Pen Name: RH Drexel
ITB/Writer/Publicist/Marketing Consultant
Late Bloomer

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#209 Post by John Morris »

John Glas wrote: May 31st, 2021, 3:28 pm My son's end of the year golf banquet is featuring the following sodas (pop for some of you). Will report back on the tasting notes.

Dr. Pepper
Pepsi
Coke
Mountain Dew
Barq's Root Beer
Sprite
Mountain Dew is the Orin Swift of soft drinks.
"I'll pay you five gallons of petrol and a valentine nailed to the forehead of the last lawyer you loved." -- Tom Waits to David Lynch

"But they told me there would be a hand basket."

John Glas
GCC Member
GCC Member

#210 Post by John Glas »

John Morris wrote: June 1st, 2021, 2:47 pm
John Glas wrote: May 31st, 2021, 3:28 pm My son's end of the year golf banquet is featuring the following sodas (pop for some of you). Will report back on the tasting notes.

Dr. Pepper
Pepsi
Coke
Mountain Dew
Barq's Root Beer
Sprite
Mountain Dew is the Orin Swift of soft drinks.
Orginal or one of their new energy variety drinks they keep coming up with?

John Glas
GCC Member
GCC Member

#211 Post by John Glas »

Update a local wine shop tried moving out some 2019 Orin Swift Eight Years in the Dessert yesterday at $31.99 and it sold at a snails pace. Don't even think they sold it all and that is the lowest Wine Searcher price in the country.

John Glas
GCC Member
GCC Member

#212 Post by John Glas »

Picture of the year candidate.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Wine Talk”