Impressions 5-8-21

Wine impressions 5-8-21

2017 Louis Michel, Sechets - more about the structure than fruit right now, good concentration and plenty of structure; bodes well for the future.

2020 Scribe, Sylvaner - bright, crisp, medium bodied and ready now. Good.

2011 Peter Michael, Chardonnay Belle Cote - way too oaky for me. Those who do not mind oak, loved it.

2009 Schrader, Cabernet Sauvignon RBS - To Kalon Vineyard fruit; balanced, creamy, rich and pretty good but it’s Cab. which is just not my thing.

2012 Saxum, Broken Stones - I don’t like Saxum wines on release but after 9-10 years they seem to level up. This was big but complex, meaty and earthy at the same time, and delicious. But the 15.6% abv damn near killed me the next day.
A second bottle opened at dinner several nights later was not near as impressive.

2018 Barbacan, Rosso di Valtellina - there is great wine and then there is the wine you most enjoy drinking. This is the latter; svelte, fresh fruit flavors, lovely nuance and spot on Nebbiolo in every way - no waiting. I’ll be delighted to drink your ‘great’ wine but this is what I will buy.

2014 Louis Michel, Chablis Vaudesir - best guess, at least 2-3 years from peak; excellent now but still carries that slight lactic note of the unevolved.

2017 Sandlands, Mataro - grumpy at first but opened quickly; leaning toward Bandol and far removed from the Dirty & Rowdy style. Not lost in the shuffle by any means but I often like a bit more clear-cut character. However, truly excellent with steak frites.

2012 Louis Michel, Chablis Grenoiulles - of a piece, fully developed, complete and beautifully shaped wine; got better as the evening progressed. Better than my description - memorable!

2017 Chalone Vineyard, Pinot Noir - not many CA pinots make me want to buy CA Pinot - this does. Finesse, structure, intensity, a certain lilt; really good - really!

2018 Rochioli, Pinot Noir River Block - distinctly Rochioli; rich, round and the flavors are saturated. No other Pinot producer I know gets the same concentration that this one does. Lacking the nuance of the Chalone but a big-beautiful-mouthful of wine.

2011 Vincent, Pinot Noir Bjornson Vineyard - in what is often considered a difficult vintage, this is the exception. Opened alongside cheese soufflé; so subtle, complex and light on its feet it felt like the wine was dancing. The pairing was greater than the sum of its parts; the overall experience, sublime. Great wine, in every sense of the word. Bravo!

Best, jim

1 Like

Thanks Jim!

Jim,

Quick question - do you find Hardy’s wines more ‘true to character’ of what you look for in Mourvedre than what you usually find domestically? Just trying to gauge palates . . .

Cheers.

2011 is a lovely vintage in Oregon for the right producers. Just a step behind the “shitty” 2007. [wink.gif]

I wouldn’t say it quite that way.
They have a distinct character as do Tempier’s wines but I don’t believe either is “true to character” - Mourvèdre can be many things, yes?
Best, Jim

Reminds me I need to try some Vincent wines.

Don, let’s get together and pull some corks, as I have quite a few.

1 Like

This.

Chalone Pinots used to dazzle me. Surprised and delighted they are still good!

“Just trying to gauge palates…”

[rofl.gif]

Just tried the '15 version of this wine last night (alongside the '17 Bjornson Reserve). A lovely wine but will definitely benefit from some more time in the cellar.

Scott,
I enjoy all of Vince’s wines and have been fortunate to have tried not only most of his labels/varieties but some with 3-10 years on them. And, of course, this particular wine was just silly good.
But I find myself even more enamored of the Ribbon Ridge area, whether single vineyard or not, for what I perceive as more structure. ‘Not saying they are, just that they come off that way to me.
Ebola Hills is sure good back-up, though.
Best, jim

We are aligned on the perceived structure in Ribbon Ridge wines.

And Ebola Hills is going into the autocorrect hall of fame!

1 Like

Oh boy!