TN: 2019 Morgen Long Chardonnay (USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley)

• 2019 Morgen Long Chardonnay - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley (5/7/2021)
    Brought to an outdoor BBQ at Domaine for our monthly tasting group. Per Seth’s advice, I decanted ahead of time and gave it about 3 hours before serving. Both David Dyroff and Tim Dwyer were in attendance.

This wine has such striking beauty and singularity for a chardonnay blend. Crushed rocks and matchstick notes provide a mineral bed to intense citrus tones of lemon oil, lime peel, with a touch of grapefruit and woodspice on the nose. On the palate, those citrus elements are complemented by graham cracker, almond skin, and a touch of raw ginger. While there is some density with this wine, it is lithe and has vibrant acidity (which I particularly enjoy), with supple texture while simultaneously coating the palate for a long finish.

Seth is very proud of his 2019s, and though I only first started trying his wines with the 2018 vintage I can see why. Tim mentioned in an e-mail later on, after trying the wine for the first time later in the evening (about 7 hours after decanting), that it “it was humming and the expression was EVERYTHING a Chardonnay should be!”

Well done Seth!

(94 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

6 Likes

Beautiful note, Brian. I’ve only tasted Seth’s 2018’s and 2019’s…and I am at a loss for words in describing these wines. Really good chardonnay is so hard to find and Seth’s wines are literally alive…pulsing with energy and threatening to jump out of the glass and run down your arm. Poster-child for cold-climate, new world chardonnay. I’ll be damned if I can postulate how they’ll taste with significant cellar time.

1 Like

I was hoping you’d find this note Steve!

We’re long overdue for a WB zoom. Might have to rectify that soon.

Not sure there’s more to say beyond what Brian already has…other than I just opened an account and bought a six-pack!

1 Like

Been a busier than usual spring so far for us, Brian…but I miss the informality of the WB Zoom sessions so I’ll happily make time if you or Rodrigo can pick a date/time. New sound system, new art, and new temp controlled wine storage for our Michigan house has us buzzing back and forth between Chicago and Michigan…but can Zoom from either location. Hoping to spend most of the summer in Michigan…though pool and pool house construction have been pushed back six months or so…building projects are seriously backed up from Covid and supply chain snafus…

Digging this description. I’ve only had the '18s, looking forward to the 19s soon. Thanks for the great note, Brian!

2 Likes