TN: 2018 Domaine Joseph Voillot Bourgogne Vieilles Vignes (France, Burgundy, Bourgogne)

Last week I had the 2016 Bourgogne from David Duband which was pretty but lean and restrained. This is veeeery different - I suppose more than anything due to the vintage - but is likewise a fantastic value and a downright delicious wine. I’m a bit scared of the vintage but this bottle encourages me to explore more - while fruity I can’t call this particularly ”solar”. I would buy more of this in a heartbeat but, alas, it is all gone now. Voillot has just won themselves a new fan.

• 2018 Domaine Joseph Voillot Bourgogne Vieilles Vignes - France, Burgundy, Bourgogne (5.5.2021)
    Not surprisingly the nose does not lack in the fruit department at all. The ripe cherry fruit is pretty abundant but then does not come across as sweet/overripe in any way and actually there is a slight tart edge to it which I quite like. On the palate medium-bodied with pretty nice concentration and volume. Sports good - no, great - fruit akin to the nose and is pretty clearly fruit-forward but also has what I think is fantastic acidity and a bit of tannic grip. Firmly textured, vibrant . The finish is mouthwatering and long and absolutely delicious. Holy hell this is tasty and convincing stuff, I am pretty blown away by how good a wine this is all things considered.

Posted from CellarTracker

1 Like

I think of these as usually pretty classic and restrained. Makes sense that it isn’t overblown in 2018.

Having not tasted other vintages of this wine it is all speculation but I can see a classically style wine like this really benefiting from a warmer vintage. I guess I need a grab a bottle or two of the 2018 Volnay Vieilles Vignes before it sells out.