TN: 1998 Château Léoville Barton (France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Julien)

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Brian G r a f s t r o m
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

TN: 1998 Château Léoville Barton (France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Julien)

#1 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m »

1998 Château Léoville Barton - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Julien (4/30/2021)
-- double-decanted approx. 2.5 hours before initial taste --
-- tasted non-blind over 1.5 hours --

Red fruits and a moderately intense wet stones mineral element on the Nose. No longer tannic on the palate. Medium-light to medium bodied. Medium-low acidity. Medium-light to medium concentration of fruit. At, if not past, peak. Very surprised to get such a "weak" showing out of Leoville Barton --- I was expecting this to be quite youthful, but that was not the case. Fruit seems to be falling-away, and there's really not much there otherwise. Drink Now. Gut impression score: 90.
“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT: grafstrb

William Kelley
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: TN: 1998 Château Léoville Barton (France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Julien)

#2 Post by William Kelley »

Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote: May 4th, 2021, 10:49 am 1998 Château Léoville Barton - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Julien (4/30/2021)

Red fruits and a moderately intense wet stones mineral element on the Nose. No longer tannic on the palate. Medium-light to medium bodied. Medium-low acidity. Medium-light to medium concentration of fruit. At, if not past, peak. Very surprised to get such a "weak" showing out of Leoville Barton --- I was expecting this to be quite youthful, but that was not the case. Fruit seems to be falling-away, and there's really not much there otherwise. Drink Now. Gut impression score: 90.
Surprised to hear this! It was still youthful last time I tried it. Though I think 1998 is one of the few vintages where Langoa gives Léoville a run for its money.
The Wine Advocate

Mark Golodetz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by Mark Golodetz »

William Kelley wrote: May 4th, 2021, 11:04 am
Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote: May 4th, 2021, 10:49 am 1998 Château Léoville Barton - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Julien (4/30/2021)

Surprised to hear this! It was still youthful last time I tried it. Though I think 1998 is one of the few vintages where Langoa gives Léoville a run for its money.
For me the ‘05 Langoa was appreciably better than the Leoville Barton. Another five years, I will start drinking it.
ITB

Ramon C
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by Ramon C »

William Kelley wrote: May 4th, 2021, 11:04 am

The TN was pretty much in line with my last bottle drank in January. I have 2 more left and will be on my immediate to-drink queue.

I hope to get to try that 98 Langoa. Also was impressed with another SJ from the vintage, the Ducru-Beaucaillou.
@brera

Brian G r a f s t r o m
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#5 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m »

Thanks for the comments, gentlemen. Langoa is a property I generally avoid -- can't say exactly why, as I think I've only ever tried one or two; I'll try to remember these positive comments about the '98 and '05, if I shall ever see them at a reasonable price. [cheers.gif]
“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT: grafstrb

Return to “Wine Talk”