Becklyn release live

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Tom Chen
GCC Member
GCC Member

Becklyn release live

#1 Post by Tom Chen »

So, what are people getting?

Prices are the same (and have been the same for at least several years), so kudos to Matt and team for that!

Love Becklyn and Mike Smith wines, so will definitely be buying, but still trying to decide which ones and how many . . .

Bdklein
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Becklyn release live

#2 Post by Bdklein »

2 NV, as usual . Great wine and good value .
B r u c e K l e i n

Tom Chen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by Tom Chen »

NV is good value and I do always get some of those bottles.

My bigger dilemma (and question) is between the Reserve and the Hopper ($30/bottle price difference).

Anyone with experience with both have thoughts on how they generally differ?

I have not have enough of either to truly compare (as many of my previous bottles are still resting).

SeanHarding
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#4 Post by SeanHarding »

I got 6 Napa this time, because I've found those are always reliable go-tos for us. Then 2 SB, 2 Moulds, 1 Missouri Hopper, and 1 Pangkarra.

Brian Tuite
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#5 Post by Brian Tuite »

1ea plus an extra Napa.
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

”Dammit Brian, until you tuited this diatribe, I was haiku aging my shit.” ~ Alfert

WOTY Candidates

18 O&F Old Hill
16 LL 1910 Block
18 W&M Shifflett

Erich Sachse
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#6 Post by Erich Sachse »

I always get the NV -- it is a great value at $65. Have found I prefer it to the Moulds but have not tried past several vintages of the Moulds.

My only experience with the Missouri Hopper was grabbing it by accident when going for the NV -- I noticed the difference enough to check the vintage -- and it turned out to be the MH. More complexity and concentration and what made me double-check was the great, long finish. I think it was a '15?

Haven't popped a Pangkarra but may before ordering.

Don't overlook the Sauv Blanc

Frank Z
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by Frank Z »

Was hoping to grab a mixed case this year but can’t justify paying over $80 on ground shipping to LA. Last time I checked these aren’t coming from NY, are they?

Will go in for my regular order of NV and MH. 😁
Frank Zhang

Tom Chen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by Tom Chen »

Erich Sachse wrote: May 4th, 2021, 11:03 am My only experience with the Missouri Hopper was grabbing it by accident when going for the NV -- I noticed the difference enough to check the vintage -- and it turned out to be the MH. More complexity and concentration and what made me double-check was the great, long finish. I think it was a '15?
Yeah, I wish they would make the labels of NV and Hopper more visually different. Seems strange to me that they don't. Anyone know the reason?

On the other hand, the Moulds (reserve) is very different, and I actually like that label more than NV/Hopper, but again, it's what is inside the bottle, not outside, but still . . .

Anton D
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#9 Post by Anton D »

If there is anybody new to this list, these wines are great.
Anton Dotson

What is man, when you come to think upon him, but a minutely set, ingenious machine for turning, with infinite artfulness, the fine red wine of Shiraz into urine?

Chris H.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#10 Post by Chris H. »

Tom Chen wrote: May 4th, 2021, 11:42 am
Erich Sachse wrote: May 4th, 2021, 11:03 am My only experience with the Missouri Hopper was grabbing it by accident when going for the NV -- I noticed the difference enough to check the vintage -- and it turned out to be the MH. More complexity and concentration and what made me double-check was the great, long finish. I think it was a '15?
Yeah, I wish they would make the labels of NV and Hopper more visually different. Seems strange to me that they don't. Anyone know the reason?

On the other hand, the Moulds (reserve) is very different, and I actually like that label more than NV/Hopper, but again, it's what is inside the bottle, not outside, but still . . .
One time, after several wines were opened and consumed with friends, I accidentally opened a Missouri Hopper, thinking it was a Napa Valley. The labels are nearly identical, and the font and font color are not very clear. Frankly that happened to me with a 2016 Myriad and Myriad Steltzner, as well. It is operator error (aka me), lol.
H a r r i s

J. Rock
GCC Member
GCC Member

#11 Post by J. Rock »

How do these wines compare to Myriad or Carter? Those are the Mike Smith wines with which I'm most familiar.
J o r d a n

WOTY 2020: 1982 Cakebread Cellars Sauvignon Blanc Late Harvest Rutherford Gold

EricJ
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12 Post by EricJ »

6x NV, 6x Sauv Blanc (wanted to try the white), 3x Pangkarra, 3x Missouri Hopper. I've been impressed so far and budgeted for a bigger purchase this year.
J o h n s o n

Brian Tuite
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#13 Post by Brian Tuite »

J. Rock wrote: May 4th, 2021, 1:18 pm How do these wines compare to Myriad or Carter? Those are the Mike Smith wines with which I'm most familiar.
The Becklyn NV is arguably his best appellation blend.

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

”Dammit Brian, until you tuited this diatribe, I was haiku aging my shit.” ~ Alfert

WOTY Candidates

18 O&F Old Hill
16 LL 1910 Block
18 W&M Shifflett

Scott E.

#14 Post by Scott E. »

Did you guys get an e-mail that the release was open? I thought this was going live May 5.
$.E$te$

mattcitrang
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15 Post by mattcitrang »

Email on 4/15/21 says May 4, maybe they have different offer levels.
Ace Citrang10

NED VALOIS

#16 Post by NED VALOIS »

In
3 Pangkarra, 4 Missouri Hopper, 5 Moulds. [cheers.gif]

Brian Tuite
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#17 Post by Brian Tuite »

Scott E. wrote: May 4th, 2021, 1:27 pm Did you guys get an e-mail that the release was open? I thought this was going live May 5.
B0609D1D-6478-4905-8E2F-2C67A76B5AB0.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

WOTY Candidates

18 O&F Old Hill
16 LL 1910 Block
18 W&M Shifflett

NED VALOIS

#18 Post by NED VALOIS »

Email; 12:06 PM

Jason Crawford

#19 Post by Jason Crawford »

Bought everything except the SB.

Albert R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#20 Post by Albert R »

Order in. We are enjoying a 2016 NV tonight. It’s fantastic!
@. Re-go

Sanjay M.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#21 Post by Sanjay M. »

It's my first year with an allocation...I put myself on a no-new-purchases policy, but I think I have to break it for this.

Not sure what I'll end up with yet, but probably a bunch of the NVs and a couple of the higher end cabs.
M_@_r_k_3_n

Romain Machacek
GCC Member
GCC Member

#22 Post by Romain Machacek »

It sounds like 2019 was a great year for Napa cabernet. I expect the NV to punch way above its cost as it did for 2018, if not more. This and the basic cab from Quivet are QPR home runs for this style of cab.

NickRut
GCC Member
GCC Member

#23 Post by NickRut »

Will be grabbing 6 nv and maybe a few mh. Expensive time of year.
Rutkowski

Larry Chmel
GCC Member
GCC Member

#24 Post by Larry Chmel »

Can anyone give examples of other wineries these may be similar to before I buy? I love Scarlet, is it similar to that?

jeffmcw33
GCC Member
GCC Member

#25 Post by jeffmcw33 »

Picked up a few NV cabs along with the Moulds. Very curious to see how the Moulds vineyard is as I’ve read a few posts here about what to expect but have never had it by itself. That $65 price on the NV cab seems hard to pass up based on what I’ve read.
Last edited by jeffmcw33 on May 5th, 2021, 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
M c W i l l i a m s

Bdklein
GCC Member
GCC Member

#26 Post by Bdklein »

Albert R wrote: May 4th, 2021, 5:09 pm Order in. We are enjoying a 2016 NV tonight. It’s fantastic!

The one bottle I had (still have another, plus the 18 and 19) was dy-no-mite .
B r u c e K l e i n

Brian Tuite
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#27 Post by Brian Tuite »

Bdklein wrote: May 5th, 2021, 8:22 am
Albert R wrote: May 4th, 2021, 5:09 pm Order in. We are enjoying a 2016 NV tonight. It’s fantastic!

Was it now?
CFD20086-6216-4913-9232-50BA1CABB406.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

WOTY Candidates

18 O&F Old Hill
16 LL 1910 Block
18 W&M Shifflett

Albert R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#28 Post by Albert R »

Larry Chmel wrote: May 5th, 2021, 7:05 am Can anyone give examples of other wineries these may be similar to before I buy? I love Scarlet, is it similar to that?
We have had the 14-Myriad, 15-Quivet and 15-Scarlett NV’s over the last few weeks. The Scarlett was the favorite until we had a 16 Becklyn last night. The Becklyn was firing on all cylinders. To me it offered up more complexity. Not the best comparison due to the different vintages.
@. Re-go

Albert R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#29 Post by Albert R »

Bdklein wrote: May 5th, 2021, 8:22 am

I’ve had vintages 12 thru 16 and the 16 was significantly better than the others. I am glad I have another 5 left.
@. Re-go

Chris H.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#30 Post by Chris H. »

Albert R wrote: May 5th, 2021, 8:38 am
Larry Chmel wrote: May 5th, 2021, 7:05 am Can anyone give examples of other wineries these may be similar to before I buy? I love Scarlet, is it similar to that?
We have had the 14-Myriad, 15-Quivet and 15-Scarlett NV’s over the last few weeks. The Scarlett was the favorite until we had a 16 Becklyn last night. The Becklyn was firing on all cylinders. To me it offered up more complexity. Not the best comparison due to the different vintages.
The 2016 and surprisingly 2017 Becklyn's were so good---I finished my last 2016 a few weeks ago, found it firing on all cylinders. Slightly more dense and concentrated than the 2017. The 2017 had a little more energy and verve, and REALLY liked that vintage. I'll be loading up on the 2019s as well.

I appreciate the notes on Mike's entry level cabs--always enjoyable. Becklyn may have just a bit more complexity.

I'd rank the entry level cabs in this order (forgive me if I'm missing any):
1. Becklyn
2. Quivet
3. Scarlett (does need some bottle age)
4. Myriad

All are above 90 points in each vintage going back to 2015 for me, at least. Always a great buy.
H a r r i s

Chris H.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#31 Post by Chris H. »

jeffmcw33 wrote: May 5th, 2021, 8:12 am Picked up a few NV cabs along with the Moulds. Very curious to see how the Moulds vineyard is as I’ve read a few posts here about what to expect bit have never had it by itself. That $65 price on the NV can seems hard to pass up based on what I’ve read.
I've only had the 2014 vintage of Becklyn Moulds--it was a very restrained cab for Mike Smith's style, I'd rate it a solid 93 points for the vintage. Cool blue fruit, framing acidity, some barrel notes. Classy cab. I think he really lets the site shine through. I haven't had other vintages of Becklyn Moulds. It's rather unique in the Mike Smith portfolio.
H a r r i s

Jake Danberry

#32 Post by Jake Danberry »

I was able to secure a 12 pack of various bottles from Becklyn this release. Its just a very good wine that is approachable early or near term aging. Not really sure about these after ten years at this point. Unfortunately, I drink them before they get to five years so I will probably never know what they are like at ten years.
Jake Danberry

Brian Tuite
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#33 Post by Brian Tuite »

Jake Danberry wrote: May 5th, 2021, 1:46 pm I was able to secure a 12 pack of various bottles from Becklyn this release. Its just a very good wine that is approachable early or near term aging. Not really sure about these after ten years at this point. Unfortunately, I drink them before they get to five years so I will probably never know what they are like at ten years.
I habe a couple ‘12s in the cellar. We’ll see eventually.

WOTY Candidates

18 O&F Old Hill
16 LL 1910 Block
18 W&M Shifflett

Chris H.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#34 Post by Chris H. »

Brian Tuite wrote: May 5th, 2021, 2:07 pm
Jake Danberry wrote: May 5th, 2021, 1:46 pm I was able to secure a 12 pack of various bottles from Becklyn this release. Its just a very good wine that is approachable early or near term aging. Not really sure about these after ten years at this point. Unfortunately, I drink them before they get to five years so I will probably never know what they are like at ten years.
Very curious to know your thoughts when you open one! I've never been able to age the Becklyn Napa Valley because it drinks so well young, but I bet it can age a bit too! The 2014 Becklyn Reserve I had a year or so ago was still quite young, but very good--a slight more restrained than other Mike Smith cabs. Perhaps part vineyard, part vintage?
H a r r i s

Albert R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#35 Post by Albert R »

Brian Tuite wrote: May 5th, 2021, 2:07 pm
I have one 12 left that I am hanging on to as well.
@. Re-go

Chris H.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#36 Post by Chris H. »

Ended up going back and forth, and decided on 6 Napa Valley's. With Carter, Myriad, and Quivet, upcoming I have to spread the love around a bit. Nice scores from Jeb Dunnuck, BTW--but Mike makes good wine, year in year out.
H a r r i s

Return to “Wine Talk”