Catching up. A few wines and a Burgundy anomaly.

Tonight it was the Gruaud Larose 2002. This surpassed expectations, a really lovely traditional claret. Nothing out of place, but a well made delightful wine with red spicy fruit, and some licorice and violets. Medium finish. 91 points

Graham Port 1983
The balance is close to perfect. This is a pretty Port, controlled alcohol, and a backbone of fruit and mint. Still showing very young, this was a favorite of our friend at the Zoom. So good I bought a couple of bottles.

Phillipe Leclerc Combe aux Moines 1985
From the days when I listened to Parker. Glad I did. This was a great chunky Burgundy in early middle age. Huge amounts of deposit; the inside of the bottle was black after decanting. Rich, powerful, it has eaten its oak. No lacy elegance, this is a bit of a bruiser. Powerful, tannins beginning to soften. Big finish. Not a Burgundy for the faint of heart. The best analogy, a massive broadsword as opposed to a delicate rapier. I spent a lot of time with this thoroughly enjoying it, but knowing it was a bit of an anomaly. 93

2 Likes

2002 St Julien secretly panned out well, it seems. Glad to hear about the Gruaud Larose.

I had that 85 Leclerc Combe aux Moines and had my last bottle 20 years ago thinking it would just never come around, even from the 85 vintage. Shows you what I know.

And the 83 Grahams has always been an enjoyable drink.

got rid of mine long ago due to the oak. I’m a dummy, too.

I had a '13 Leclerc Combe aux Moines last year and it was decidedly monolithic. I don’t think the winemaking has changed much.

2002 d’Issan delivered tonight.

Oak is under control. Not really a problem.
I did like the wine, but blind, I would have pegged it as Chateauneuf. I think it shows why Parker never really “got” Burgundy.

Dear Friends,

I thought PH LECLERC made great 85s. I truly enjoyed them as I did his 83s. It stops from there. His Chambolle BABILLAIREs 90 was inexplicably lightish and totally not representative of that rich vintage. And that was a total anomaly given the reputation LECLERC stands for. I also thought not much of his 86s, 87s and 88s. After 90 I stopped being a client there.

SINCERELY JOHAN

The Leclerc wines, both Philippe and Rene, have always been a favorite of mine. Your 1985 Combe reminds me exactly of a 1988 I had from Philippe about 10 years ago. Thanks for sharing.