TN: Sassicaia, Casanova di Neri, Ultramarine, Tercero, PYCM...

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
B. Buzzini
GCC Member
GCC Member

TN: Sassicaia, Casanova di Neri, Ultramarine, Tercero, PYCM...

#1 Post by B. Buzzini »

Some pre BDAY pulls last night...
  • 2016 Tenuta San Guido Bolgheri Sassicaia Sassicaia - Italy, Tuscany, Bolgheri, Bolgheri Sassicaia (5/2/2021)
    This was such a GORGEOUS wine! Surprisingly very approachable for such a young wine with the pedigree for age. Dark wild berry fruits of cherry, blackberry, currants...silky smooooooooooothe and graceful dry cedar tannins...wonderful dusty dryness of crushed minerals and licorice...very pretty fresh flower florals of violets, lavender, and roses...exotic spices and vanilla spiced oak...and a really cool citrus note like a blood orange that brightens. Pure pleasure to drink now, especially with a chunk of meat...yet begs you to suffer with abstinence as it will only get better from here! +pts (97 pts.)
  • 2016 Ultramarine Blanc de Blancs Heintz Vineyard Sonoma Coast - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (5/2/2021)
    Not as fleshy as the 15...rip roaring acidity explodes in the mouth...lemon, grapefruit, pineapple...then the plush marsala creme/ ginger mousse coat the palate nicely...revealing the exotics of the almond liqueur, lychee, smoky lees that I get in these wines...salty with crushed oyster shell...chalky limestone...long and persistently puckering sour finish...all in an amazing balance, and making you CRAVE for more! Crack bubbles...my God! (95 pts.)
  • 2006 Casanova di Neri Brunello di Montalcino Tenuta Nuova - Italy, Tuscany, Montalcino, Brunello di Montalcino (5/2/2021)
    Age has snuck up in this bottle a bit...more plum and raisin than I remember...yet plenty of pleasure is to be had in this wine! Wonderful silky smooth seamlessness to go with the darker liqueured berry fruits...rich earth tones...dusty powdery tannins fully resolved, yet still pack some spicy cedar dryness...tart cherry skin acidity refreshens...some aged leather, cigar wrapper...you think Bordeaux...then the bright and acidic chocolate covered orange wedge, dried potpourri, and tar bring you back to the boot! Braised meat is the perfect pairing with this wine. Show less raisin and the score would go up a couple more. (94 pts.)
  • 2020 Tercero Cinsault Rosé - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Barbara County (5/2/2021)
    Another super tasty and VERY refreshing Cinsault Rosé from Tercero...crisp and vibrant peaches, strawberry, cantaloup, dried apple ring fruits...kissed with the Ca sunshine...pure as rainwater...plenty of fresh citrus acidity squeeze, crushed rock salinity...the prettiest of fresh flower florals, subtle cherry wood spice...and what I love the most is the impeccable balance as there is zero hint of alc "martini" which I find in a lot of domestic Rosé. Maybe the little bit of French oak barrel age is the key? Fantastic wine! Btw, this is from second day tasting. More expressive than day one. (93 pts.)
  • 2018 Pierre-Yves Colin-Morey Bourgogne Blanc - France, Burgundy, Bourgogne Blanc (5/2/2021)
    Ripeness of the vintage shows, little sweetness, yet plenty chalky citrus cut...the lemon/lime twang...subtle match strike reduction...sappy orchard and tropical fruits...some flint strike smokiness, and wood spice...all of this in a more subdued, easy drinking fashion than you get with the bigger boys of PYCM...not as intense and lengthy...you get what you pay for...and I'll pay for this all day long! (92 pts.)
Posted from CellarTracker

Meursault-head!

B. = Brian

Michael S. Monie

Re: TN: Sassicaia, Casanova di Neri, Ultramarine, Tercero, PYCM...

#2 Post by Michael S. Monie »

I've got a six pack of the 16 Sassicaia and probably wouldn't have touched one for another 5 years. But you have changed that with your report. Also have several of the 06 Tenuta Nuova; it sounds like it's time to drink up.
Hubris Gravitas

Of the myriad of involvements in living, there are two primary obligations: to know one's self and to be kind. And the more one engages in one, the more the other becomes apparent.

larry schaffer
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#3 Post by larry schaffer »

Buzz,

Thanks for including my Cinsault Rose in this dynomite lineup of wines - WOW! Hope the birthday celebration is continuing in that you're opening up loads and loads of other fantastic wines.

Really glad you enjoyed this second release of my 'lighter' rose wine. It's kinda funny when I pour it in my tasting room as many look at the color and wonder if it truly is a rose - these berries are so large that you simply do not extract a lot of color out of them using my techniques UNLESS you leave them on the skins for a lot longer, whereby you'd pick up other things that I don't want in my roses. And happy you noted that your notes were on Day 2 - this is still a young rose that will continue to evolve and unravel in the coming months.

Can't wait to hear what you think of the new Mourvedre Rose next [wow.gif]

Cheers - and happy belated birthday! champagne.gif champagne.gif champagne.gif
larry schaffer
tercero wines

B. Buzzini
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by B. Buzzini »

Thanks Larry! Put a little splash of Sassicaia in with your rose... [oops.gif] ...it was friggin amazing! Mind blowing complexity...can you create something similar? [highfive.gif]
Meursault-head!

B. = Brian

Return to “Wine Talk”