wine storage and vibration

So we are finally closing on a house on Tuesday. We will be first time home owners, and I want to have an in house cellar. I have a little over 1000 bottles in storage, and the remainder in our apartment or in my sisters basement. There is enough space in the house we are buying to store all of the wine, but I am concerned about vibrations. I am a big fan of movies, and an even bigger fan of music and I plan to build a small movie theater in the house and play my music loud. I am wondering if others have thoughts on the impact of vibrations.

There are a few but limited options we have for both the cellar and the movie theater, and I am wondering if it really should be a priority to keep them as far apart as possible or if it is not an issue at all, any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks in advance!

I believe Pavie plays classical music in their cellar to keep the wines happy, so can’t be that bad.

1 Like

Many yrs ago ('40’s or so), UC/Davis did a study on the effects of vibrations on wine. No effect was identified.
OTOH, all the wine experts, in their books, admonish us to avoid vibrations in wine storage. As a rule, the wine experts seldom know what they’re talking about.
Tom

4 Likes

Unless the vibration was so great that the sediment is continually suspended in the liquid, there is no effect. You may suffer a loss of hearing, but your wine will be fine.

I believe the idea of vibration damaging wine stems from the idea of the perfect cellar being one where the wine has almost never been moved.

3 Likes

I’ve got my cellar right next to my music studio (where it can get loud) - you’ll be fine.

1 Like

I can’t even imagine that’s an issue. If you were building a wine cellar right under the I-495 or under the runway of MacArthur Airport, maybe then, but that’s about it.

1 Like

Jasmin’s cellar in Ampuis is right next to the main Paris-Avignon train line, and his Cote Roties never seemed to suffer.
Jasmin aerial photo.JPG

2 Likes

Thank you everyone for the input. Very helpful. Makes the decision making process much easier. [cheers.gif]

the Lexington Avenue 4 train runs under my cellar. We are close to the East River and the trains are very deep. I no longer feel the slight rumble