What is the one wine you open annually, per decade, etc.?

In the early or mid-1990’s, while we dated, Marybeth and I were served Calon Segur at a restaurant in Boston. We knew little to nothing about wine, but liked the texture which we now know was tannic, as well as the dark fruit flavors. I also loved the “heart” on the label while I enjoyed the company of the woman who would later become my fiancé then wife.

We were married in 1996. Later, in the early 2000’s, we started our wine journey (or in my case, obsession). I decided we should have a special bottle that we could open each year to celebrate our anniversary, one that would last our lifetime. We chose this:
Calon Segur smaller file.jpg
It was a wine with which we had a history, it had a “heart” on the bottle appropriate for the occasion, and like our marriage, would be long-lived. Also, it was fairly affordable at that early point in my career. Over several years, I purchased several cases, plus two 3-liter bottles (for special anniversaries celebrated with friends; our 25th is approaching). The 1996 Calon Segur has never disappointed, including those tough tannic bottles we opened the first 10-15 years after we started this tradition. The last few were drinking well, and the remaining seem poised to last decades.

My apologies for the verbose introduction. What’s your special annual or per decade wine?

Cheers,
Warren

1 Like

We have a goldendoodle puppy; went in on a whole litter of 4 together with some friends who like wine, so they have wine themed names: Harlan, Kenzo, Margaux and Mouton. We’ll open one of each on every birthday :slight_smile:
51C384A3-7979-4E18-B178-CA41AF0D0028.jpg

3 Likes

I like to revisit some of the wines we served at our wedding; Krug gc, 01 Rieussec and 07 beaucastel we also had at our engagement dinner. I have no idea what iteration of gc so we just use 164.

Awesome. Look at those gorgeous pups!!

It used to be Chave 1983 from the year of our wedding. I bought three cases, alas they have gone now, all except magnums which are slated for our fortieth and fiftieth anniversary.

1 Like

if she weren’t fiancée then wife, there’s another story to tell here.

That makes me smile. [cheers.gif]

I open a Paul Hobbs Beckstoffer Las Piedras every year on my birthday. Tradition started after the first time my wife and I visited Napa/Sonoma together (for my birthday) and that was our favorite wine we had.

Dear Friends,

On very special occasions (my birthday) I open up one of the few bottles LA Tache out of my cellar. This year, however, it was an Etienne Grivot 1999 RICHEBOURG. Needless to say how great it was.

SINCERELY JOHAN