Wine pairing (non whites) with raw oysters

When it comes to eating raw oysters besides white wines what do you pair with it?
I like soju, sake and slightly fruity pinot noir.

To meet your criteria, Blanc de Noirs Champagne.

Is Manzanilla white wine? (Probably, but I’m reaching here).
Curious as to reason for the question.

2 Likes

If I could not have a white, I would either go with rose bubbles or a rose.

Cheers.

1 Like

Simple. You don’t

3 Likes

Beer

Not red wine, anyway. But sake can work beautifully.

4 Likes

Is there a happy place between wine and vinegar? In other words, a natty wine with acetic acid bacteria.

dry sherry — Fino. If that counts.

2 Likes
  • Belgian beer works great, especially something like a Hoegaarden or a Karmeliet. Mid-weight Belgians like DT work well too, I really like the fizziness with the oysters

• Beaujolais is a good option, especially the stuff on the juicier side. I’d defer to someone with more expertise for a specific wine that has more salinity

• Other light juicy options like a Terre Nere or even a Sabelli Fritsch mission would likely work decently. They tend to have a bit of salinity which would pair well.

• Savory Rose obviously works well here. I had a Clos Cibonne that would pair beautifully as it has that crushed oyster shell and salinity note to it.

• Very light and juicy Pinot Noir with lots of acid works well. I’d think - emphasis on think - you’d want to go younger vs older in terms of age. I don’t know Burgundy enough to make a recommendation but I had a great 2018 Ceritas that while young would have worked well.

1 Like

Just curious what others enjoy so I can try out different options.

Since i have abundant oysters infront of my house on Puget Sound, Ive tried just about every combo in my cellar. The classics,of course-Champers, Muscadet and Chablis- are outstanding but Sauternes have won this event on several occasions, surprisingly. The sugar and acidity balance the salt and cleanse the palate. Cant say I remember triying a high pradikat Riesling but have drunk many dry ones and this is outstanding. Rose is great but any heavy red does not work for me. That said, have had many shucking events on the bank where people drank just about anything.

2 Likes

Now that’s the life! So every time you want oyster, do you have to hack them off an oyster reef at low tide, or are these grown, or what?

That’s awesome. I go shellfishing with my mom in CT sometimes. There are definitely houses close enough to the spot we go where people could just walk out and do the same as you. I might just bring a bottle and open them up on the road the next time I go.

I’m curious if you see little crabs inside the oysters. I’ve never seen one outside of the oysters I get with mom. It’s usually about a 50% hit rate with those. I was freaked out at first then learned that they’re considered a delicacy so now I eat them.

Scrimshaw

Sometimes I feel like this is a cop out to the “what should I drink with x” question, but if I wasn’t drinking muscadet, chablis, or champagne with oysters I would definitely go with beer. If it’s particularly hot out I might go that route as a first choice.

Guinness or Murphy’s Stout. I just did this last Friday and it was fantastic. Just googled it and there was a funny article title… “Oysters and Guinness: Ireland’s strawberries and champagne”

Does the answer depend on what you put on the raw oysters? It seems like it would, though I’m not really sure what goes with what.

I had never considered Sauternes, thank you!

Wasn’t trying to be clever. Sometimes beer is the choice. I prefer having strong carbonation or bubbles with raw seafood too keep my palate refreshed. Only time I drink American lagers.