TN: 2018 Lafarge Chenes

I bought a bunch of this on William Kelley’s recommendation and good grief am I glad I did.

This is perhaps the finest young Volnay I’ve had. The nose is already effusive with pure, dark Pinot fruit. And the palate is just insanely concentrated and complex, brimming with layers of dark berry fruit, fine minerals, and a healthy kick of spice. Very dense and crunchy, with some sharp angles and muscularity as Lafarge often has. Super long and classy. While this is on the darker end of the spectrum, it’s not even remotely overblown—it’s plenty bright and the overall balance is unimpeachable. Delicious now but built for the ages.
D36FCBDF-00B5-417D-B579-47D69782CE86.jpeg

1 Like

Glad I picked up some of this

Had the base volnay tonight and it was utterly delicious.

Very glad to hear this! One of the real standouts of the 2018 vintage for me.

Is it the 3 tier system in US that’s pricing these so much higher here? Or stores just marking them higher?
I bought 2015-2018 for $120-$150ish outside US.

Yeah, I tooted the Lafarge '18 horn loud and clear, as I have since my first vintage importing the wines in 2008. The last few years have been particularly compelling…
Most people balked.
They arrived last week, tariff free, as the Lafarges were kind enough to hold my '17 and '18s at the winery until the tariffs passed.
Drank half a Bourgogne rouge '17 over the weekend. Plain lovely…
I don’t think that I will ever drink a bottle of Lafarge again and not bow my head in memory of the Timeless One…

How much are these in the US?
I was only able to pickup one bottle of this [cry.gif]