TN: Romanee Conti Dinner (part 2)

After tasting the 18s, we sat for a wonderful dinner featuring a selection of wines from the Domaine. Eric Ripert and his team expertly executed a delicious meal to accompany these great wines.

Langoustine Course

• 1997 Domaine de la Romanée-Conti Montrachet (En Jeroboam)
    The best Montrachet I’ve had from the Domaine. The bit of flint on the nose and on the front of the palate gave the wine the sense of a seared edged croissant: all of the goodness of the char with all of the richness immediately following. Incredibly delicious. So glad I had two glasses! (98 pts.)
  • 2011 Domaine de la Romanée-Conti Montrachet
    This was the back-up to the 97 Jero so it had extremely stiff competition. On its own, this is a great wine. Developing nicely 10 years in. Feels like it is in a bit of a transition where the richer flavors are giving way now to some of the undertones of the wood. Will be good to try again in 10 years. (94 pts.)

Braised Short Rib Ravioli Course

• 2011 Domaine de la Romanée-Conti Echezeaux
    In all, I found it a bit pedestrian. Generally nice aromatics, good balance, obviously well made. There was no lack of joy in this glass but I didn’t find it as expressive as some of the wines next to it. That said, I enjoyed it much more than almost every other 2011 red burg I’ve had. It was not weak at all and its whole cluster character gave it substance that I found pleasing. Perhaps a little unfair to rate this among so many other incredible wines from the Domaine, but, in a way, this is the best type of comparison to truly size the character of the wine. (92 pts.)
  • 2009 Domaine de la Romanée-Conti Romanée St. Vivant
    A lovely bite. The aromatics I’ve come to expect. A little green on the edges but very enjoyable. Sitting next to the 2011 Ech, this wine fluttered a bit more in the mouth, dancing on top of the tongue rather than penetrating the palate. (94 pts.)

Black Bass with Wild Mushroom Stuffed Cabbage

• 1990 Domaine de la Romanée-Conti Richebourg
    Incredible. The flavors were mature and inviting. The spices give the wine a dimensionality and pop that was unrivaled on the night. All of this great flavor did not detract from the texture or length. WOTN (among a ton of great contenders) (99 pts.)
  • 1999 Domaine de la Romanée-Conti Grands-Echezeaux
    Not much to add relative to other reviewers notes. This is really bright with yummy fruit jumping from the glass. Following two more acidic, floral wines like the 2011 Ech and the 2009 RSV, this was an inviting elevation in boldness. Next to the 90 Rich, it was outclassed but, in 20-30 years or so, I could imagine this wine doing very very well again the best of them. (94 pts.)

Hiramasa Course

• 2000 Domaine de la Romanée-Conti La Tâche
    I know this isn’t a vaunted vintage, but this was not only great on the night but it outshined the 2001. Tonight, the vosne spices, the acidity, and the fruit core combined for the most complete wine on the evening. If what came out of the bottle tonight is any indication of what other bottles can deliver, I would seriously consider over 1999, 2001, or 2002. (97 pts.)
  • 2001 Domaine de la Romanée-Conti La Tâche
    Classic La Tache flavors with a good combination of grace and power. That said, on the night, the 2000 was better (which is a bit of a shock). In comparison, some of what was missing from the 2001 comes into focus, specifically the various notes which needed to come together in perfect harmony were just a slight bit off. This might be just bottle variation, but at the level this wine wants to play it was outdone by its 2000 brother. (95 pts.)

Truffled Squab Course

• 1996 Domaine de la Romanée-Conti Romanée-Conti
    In a way, I don’t know how to rate this wine. For me, RC is usually subtle and contemplative. Our host, when discussing the food pairing, confessed his struggles ever pairing this wine appropriately and I think there is something to that. So, unlike all the other wines I tasted along side this one, I am not doing a relative comparison. This wine is beautiful and long. It carries a lot with ease and leaves you beguiled. I know 96 is a worrisome vintage, but I think this wine is wonderfully expressive and inviting. It does not have any of the reticent character often associated with 1996. (98 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

6 Likes

Well done, Alex.

1 Like

I was already astounded (and a whole lot jealous) of your part 1 tasting. Then you go ahead and post this. Awesome lineup and great notes. Sounds like a fantastic experience. Kudos. Thanks for sharing [cheers.gif]

It was very special, especially since it was my first wine dinner since La Paulee 2020 (and I’m pretty sure I’ve consumed about as many bottles in the last 13 months as were opened last night). Hopefully this is the sign of more to come!

Sounds like it. When the first wine in the lineup is an aged DRC Monty in Jeroboam, you know you’re in for one hell of an experience.

I can’t wait for parts 3 and 4 :wink:! Thanks again, excellent notes, really give me a sense for what you tasted and thought.

Excellent notes!

1 Like

Ha! Me too!

Here is the whole lineup :slight_smile:
C0286404-754C-469B-BD41-29FE481C9E28.jpeg

Alex…if you will be the host and plan to serve a bottle of RC from your cellar in the next DRC event, and if you wish to show that the RC is worth the priced, I suggest the following food pair : boil potato from from Newfoundland - no butter please.

Wonderful TNs - merci.

Wow! Awesome event. I can only hope one day to attend something similar. Thank you for sharing.

1 Like

Appreciate it Peter. Unfortunately, I am allergic to potatoes. I think some bread and butter would do nicely as a replacement.

I had 00 RC with a relatively simple dish of chicken oysters and Masutake mushrooms which was delicious.

spectacular. I can still vividly recall a 1990 DRC dinner I attended in 1993 at the home of Dennis Overstreet. I almost canceled since it was a rare rainy LA day and my Corvette skidded all over on wet streets. Dinner was in the Hollywood Hills. He had hired a recently unemployed chef to cook an amazing meal. Wines were awesome, and there were just 16 of us attending, but the chef was cool so I stood next to him in the kitchen and just talked. He showed me a few tricks. He had just been let go from Checkers and was planning to open a Napa restaurant. His name was Thomas Keller. Almost outshined the wines.

8 Likes

Last year I was at a dinner with Aubert and we had the 2000 and 2001 RC served with a a fairly substantial course (Duck confit with caramelized cippolini onions and foie gras au jus). For me, that pairing a bit overwhelming and preferred, instead, to enjoy them a bit more on their own. I found giving the wine space and attention allowed me to spend more time enjoying the length and simplicity of the wine (at the time, I too preferred the 2000 over the 2001 though, unlike the La Tache from a couple nights ago, I found the differences between the RCs much less obvious)

Now THIS is a super cool story! Alan, thank you for sharing!

1 Like

I love this story. Incredible what a moment means in context of what happens after it

*at the time, I too preferred the 2000 over the 2001 though, unlike the La Tache from a couple nights ago, I found the differences between the RCs much less obvious)

Interesting comments regarding your experience between 2000 RC and LT.

Since vintage 1990 I stopped opening RC. I tried it once every year during annual tasting release in mid-1990s ( or when my friend opened it to give face).

My experience with RC and LT from 1982 shaped my future preference to DRC wines and also due the prices between themafter some bottle-age.

The RC normally was more refine ( …let say more Musigny ) and much parfame but definitely needed bottles age. It made you go back and keep on smelling the empty glass and/or empty bottles.

That being said, when the LT was on and behaving, it get more exotic with air, and then keeping on evolving and moving …and changing. In short…it was more complex in term of the body texture and the aromas. Sadly …when it was not on …it stared to shut downed …after 30 to 45 minutes.

1 Like

For me, La Tache is my favorite of the DRC slate, but I also have much more experience with it vs RC so I am sure that factors in. La Tache did not reach some of the highs I know it is capable of and I am still figuring out what the highs can be for RC. On the night I was happy to have Richebourg show so well where for me, in many other settings, Richebourg is often incredible but not a front runner.

Totally agree…LT is also my favorite of the DRC slate and also Richebourg is the runner-up which is seldom disappointing and very solid in performance with its richness ( which I personally prefer ) and also complexity. No enough RC is form any opinion.

DRC knows and they priced them according ( in the old days ) : In Montreal, Canada there was no need to buy them from the importer and no such thing as allocation. SAQ priced them according to the Domaine normal release prices - for vintage 1995 which was released in the spring of 1999 ( always 4 years later ) : RC at CAD$1695; LT CAD $585; Riche at CAD $388; RStV CAD $323; G-Ech CAD $255 and Ech CAD $155. Riche was at 18 to 20% higher then RStV.

I hope my fried Mr. Johan is reading this thread…