AbeSchoener/ScholiumProject Wines??

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
TomHill
GCC Member
GCC Member

AbeSchoener/ScholiumProject Wines??

#1 Post by TomHill »

Haven't heard much buzz about these wines for quite some time. Now located down in LosAngeles
as the LosAngeles River Wine Company. I gather he's still in business and still has wines to sell.

Has anyone tried any of his wines of late??
Tom

dougwilder

Re: AbeSchoener/ScholiumProject Wines??

#2 Post by dougwilder »

No, not in a great while. I was supposed to see him on my drive from Paso Robles to Laguna Beach a couple of years ago but ran out of time. A tasting trip specifically to Los Angeles is something that would need to include some other stops in town to shoot photography for the art magazine. Just not a high priority now though I have been a fan of Abe and his winemaking journey since the beginning.
itb Cade, Odette, PlumpJack

Paul Miller
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#3 Post by Paul Miller »

It's been a couple of years since I've seen or had one. I usually enjoyed the wines.

D@vid Bu3ker
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#4 Post by D@vid Bu3ker »

He sends out emails. I just don't have the wallet or cellar space, despite how interesting the new wines sound.
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

Siun o'Connell
BerserkerDay Council
BerserkerDay Council

#5 Post by Siun o'Connell »

I have not bought in quite a while but his new location and offerings sure sound interesting. I have some earlier ones tucked away ... should open and see how they are doing.

Arv R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6 Post by Arv R »

I had a couple of his (one off I think) Clos Thales bottlings and they were quite interesting; I would have liked to put them in blind panels with a bunch of higher end Rhones and see how they compared. The stated list prices are pretty high, so one would have to be strong supporter to buy directly.
R_@_0

dougwilder

#7 Post by dougwilder »

The premiere vintage of 2002 Scholium Project Chardonnay, The Sylphs, Guman Vineyard was exceptional on release.
itb Cade, Odette, PlumpJack

Markus S

#8 Post by Markus S »

These were so expensive upon release I would usually see them in the closeout bin later on in life.
$ _ € ® e . k @

Greg Gardner

#9 Post by Greg Gardner »

I got a few of the recent releases. He’s working with some old vine SoCal vineyards that sound fascinating- early 20th century Grenache and Zin plantings among others. Haven’t received the wines yet but will post TNs when I do.

S. Rash

#10 Post by S. Rash »

Greg Gardner wrote: April 29th, 2021, 9:56 pm I got a few of the recent releases. He’s working with some old vine SoCal vineyards that sound fascinating- early 20th century Grenache and Zin plantings among others. Haven’t received the wines yet but will post TNs when I do.
Lopez Vineyard in Rancho Cucamonga? I drive by that vineyard every time I go to Southern California. I have always wanted to try a wine from that vineyard.
S t e p h e n

2020 WOTY Candidates

2016 Ex Post Facto Syrah
2016 I. Brand & Family Brosseau Vineyard Grenache
2013 Ferrer Bobet Vinyes Velles Priorat

Greg Gardner

#11 Post by Greg Gardner »

Here's info on the vineyards he's working with:

https://mailchi.mp/scholiumwines.com/a- ... ng-5881152

larry schaffer
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#12 Post by larry schaffer »

It's cool what Abe is going - kind of what others have done up in Sonoma and out in Lodi but, heck, it's Southern California so it'll probably not garner as much 'buzz' . . .

Cheers.
larry schaffer
tercero wines

Greg Gardner

#13 Post by Greg Gardner »

Yeah, it would be fascinating to see what some other folks would do with these old vine vineyards. The six pack samplers work out to about $50 per bottle, which didn't strike me as exorbitant pricing.

TomHill
GCC Member
GCC Member

Carol Shelton...

#14 Post by TomHill »

Carol Shelton makes OV Zin from Cucamonga.. or used to.
Tom

Adam Frisch
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#15 Post by Adam Frisch »

As far as I know, Scholium Project is now taking a backseat and LA River Co is the focus.
Sabelli-Frisch Wines

Owner, proprietor and winemaker at Sabelli-Frisch Wines. I make wine from low-impact vineyards, focus on rare, forgotten, under-appreciated or historic grape varietals. Mission grape is my main red focus. IG: sabellifrisch

Paul McCourt
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#16 Post by Paul McCourt »

I think I still get occasional emails thought I haven't bought in a long time (I was one of the original "56" or whatever number it was). I found many of his wines to be very interesting and a few to be downright wonderful. Unfortunately some wines were very big misses and I couldn't justify the price point for the number of winners vs losers. I hope his new project goes well.
PauLeeeenda 2020: Tasty Waves and a Cool Buzz for America

Paul Miller
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#17 Post by Paul Miller »

Am I the only person thinking of Johnny Carson?

Robert Dentice
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#18 Post by Robert Dentice »

I can add a few updates. I hung out with Abe this weekend in Napa.

We were both in town for the 2nd Old California tasting -

Abe -

He was pruning Guman on Sunday so he is still working on some Scholium Project wines.

@dougwilder - I had 02 Sylphs a couple of weeks ago and it was stunning maybe the best of the 100 or so bottles I have had. Your 100 point review was spot on. We also had the legendary 99 Scholium Project Sangiovese from To Kalon and it to was stunning. This was the first ever Scholium wine but it was never commercially released and is only allowed to be served at Dance Parties.

Also Abe's dad passed recently at 95 and the NY Times wrote a wonderful obit.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/23/arts ... -dead.html

I have only had a couple of the LA Wine Company wines and they are a unique expression of California unlike any other regions. I look forward to trying more.
ITB - source | material

J a y H a c k
GCC Member
GCC Member

#19 Post by J a y H a c k »

I have ordered his most recent collection after not ordering for a while because I own too much wine. I have generally enjoyed his wine for about 18 years since I was first tipped off to his Les Tenebres and picked up a case. However, some of them are an acquired taste and remind me of a comment someone made that I cannot take credit for, "Abe's wines are often science experiments."
Yes, that's a DM of 1978 Mouton!

You can read my Financial Institutions Law Blog at https://www.gdblaw.com/blog?practiceID=4985.

TomHill
GCC Member
GCC Member

Yup....

#20 Post by TomHill »

J a y H a c k wrote: May 3rd, 2021, 9:26 am I have ordered his most recent collection after not ordering for a while because I own too much wine. I have generally enjoyed his wine for about 18 years since I was first tipped off to his Les Tenebres and picked up a case. However, some of them are an acquired taste and remind me of a comment someone made that I cannot take credit for, "Abe's wines are often science experiments."
Yup, Jay.... science experiments that have gone South in many cases.

Tasting his wines was always a grand adventure. They were all over the map. But, in general, "interesting". Thank Gawd is didn't get, really,
into natural wine. We would have then seen some real doozies.
Tom

Mel Knox
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#21 Post by Mel Knox »

I always thought of Abe's wines as art projects. When one considers his father's career, this makes sense.
ITB

J a y H a c k
GCC Member
GCC Member

#22 Post by J a y H a c k »

Art? Science? Definitely interesting. But knowing his wine is like a password into a secret cult. We were in NOLA in 2012 and my wife decided that in addition to going to the Sugar Bowl, we would eat a meal at at least one restaurant of each of the great chefs in NOLA. We couldn't get into Bayona for dinner, so we made a lunch reservation and ate in the garden outside in the back. The waiter gave me the wineglass and on it was Scholium Riquewihr, a dry Gewurztraminer. I asked the waiter how they could possibly have that on the wine, since I knew that the total production was half a barrel and I thought I owned more than anyone else east of the Mississippi. I told him the waiter that we knew Abe and he explained that someone on the staff knew Abe also. I also mentioned that we had wanted to come for dinner, but it was a very nice garden where we could have lunch.

We proceeded to order and the little while later, I see a woman walked down a stairway in the back of the garden and come over to our table. She introduces herself and says, "Hello, I'm Susan Spicer and I hear you know Abe." We had a wonderful conversation about everything from wine to serving sweetbreads (which is what I was eating) to her mother. Halfway through the conversation, the waiter came back to our table and it appears that there was a spot the following night for dinner that had just opened up (cough cough, ha ha), would we like it. We grabbed the spot, finished discussing her mother and my mother, both of whom were about the same age, thanked her for a great meal, and left.

We came back the following night for dinner and in the middle of the meal, out comes Susan Spicer from the kitchen in her chef's jacket, walks over to our table, I stand up, and we give each other a big hug like we are best friends. The other diners were trying to figure out who these to VIPs were.

To top things off, a year or two later, my mother was going to New Orleans with my sister for a family wedding. I called Susan Spicer just to arrange for a table. She remembered our conversation about my mother and her mother, and said she would take care of them. Between the treatment my mother got at Bayona and the fact that she was given a seat of honor at the wedding because she was the oldest member of my family who was there and the groom was from a Chinese family that believed in honoring the elders, my mother reported that it was the greatest three day vacation she ever had.

All because we knew Abe.
Yes, that's a DM of 1978 Mouton!

You can read my Financial Institutions Law Blog at https://www.gdblaw.com/blog?practiceID=4985.

Mel Hill

#23 Post by Mel Hill »

great story Jay!

JDavisRoby
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#24 Post by JDavisRoby »

Robert Dentice wrote: May 3rd, 2021, 6:49 am I can add a few updates. I hung out with Abe this weekend in Napa.

We were both in town for the 2nd Old California tasting -

Abe -

He was pruning Guman on Sunday so he is still working on some Scholium Project wines.

@dougwilder - I had 02 Sylphs a couple of weeks ago and it was stunning maybe the best of the 100 or so bottles I have had. Your 100 point review was spot on. We also had the legendary 99 Scholium Project Sangiovese from To Kalon and it to was stunning. This was the first ever Scholium wine but it was never commercially released and is only allowed to be served at Dance Parties.

Also Abe's dad passed recently at 95 and the NY Times wrote a wonderful obit.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/23/arts ... -dead.html

I have only had a couple of the LA Wine Company wines and they are a unique expression of California unlike any other regions. I look forward to trying more.
How was the Burgess? I’ve been sort of randomly nearly built a vertical of Burgess from 77-99. Only opened a few here and there and they’ve all been great.
Joshu@

Robert Dentice
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#25 Post by Robert Dentice »

JDavisRoby wrote: May 3rd, 2021, 8:34 pm
How was the Burgess? I’ve been sort of randomly nearly built a vertical of Burgess from 77-99. Only opened a few here and there and they’ve all been great.
It was good, brought my the current winemaker. But to be honest it was not in the same league as most of the other wines.
ITB - source | material

JDavisRoby
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#26 Post by JDavisRoby »

Robert Dentice wrote: May 4th, 2021, 6:18 am
JDavisRoby wrote: May 3rd, 2021, 8:34 pm
It was good, brought my the current winemaker. But to be honest it was not in the same league as most of the other wines.
I’ve opened a few alongside some same vintage Mondavi Oakville and they haven’t shown as well. I haven’t opened a bottle newer than 86. I’m thinking one of these days I’ll get a wild hair and plan a dinner and open them all.
Joshu@

Greg Gardner

#27 Post by Greg Gardner »

At this point I just hope they get the wines shipped before the spring shipping window closes. They were meant to go out a month ago...nothing. Then there was an email that they would go out late last week, but...nothing. It's still cool up here in the PNW but ground shipping from LA is probably already done until the fall, I guess.

Greg Gardner

#28 Post by Greg Gardner »

So, the wines just showed up. Still cool to the touch. I'll let them rest for a couple of weeks (wines look hazy) and report back. The Maglite had the name changed to Heart of Sand (I'm guessing to avoid legal issues) and that one sounds very interesting to me...own rooted Grenache planted in pure sand in 1910, in Rancho Cucamonga.

R_Gilbane
GCC Member
GCC Member

#29 Post by R_Gilbane »

Everytime I hear about Scholium, someone typically tells a great story about the interns.
Bobby

Return to “Wine Talk”