Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: No Capsule Guy strikes again!

#51 Post by Neal.Mollen »

Wes Barton wrote: May 2nd, 2021, 5:46 pm
Neal.Mollen wrote: May 2nd, 2021, 2:07 pm
Jim Stewart wrote: April 29th, 2021, 12:21 pm Hey, he really liked Kelley's wines and highly recommended them! As for the other "noise" . . . who among us has never been a DB ?
Dirt bag? Designated Bellydancer? Deciduous bark? Dubious busdriver? Downtown business?
Doddering blowhard?
Decommissioned bastard? Decrepit dingleberry? Disappointing buffoon?
I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

Rich K0rz€nk0
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#52 Post by Rich K0rz€nk0 »

I wonder which one he is...

Time Person of the Year - 2006

Jim Anderson
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#53 Post by Jim Anderson »

Rich K0rz€nk0 wrote: May 2nd, 2021, 6:37 pm I wonder which one he is...

🎤 drop.

Someone tell Fu to lock this up.
Co-owner, Patricia Green Cellars

Brian Tuite
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#54 Post by Brian Tuite »

Neal.Mollen wrote: May 2nd, 2021, 6:10 pm
Wes Barton wrote: May 2nd, 2021, 5:46 pm
Neal.Mollen wrote: May 2nd, 2021, 2:07 pm

Dirt bag? Designated Bellydancer? Deciduous bark? Dubious busdriver? Downtown business?
Doddering blowhard?
Decommissioned bastard? Decrepit dingleberry? Disappointing buffoon?
Delirious Blogger
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

”Dammit Brian, until you tuited this diatribe, I was haiku aging my shit.” ~ Alfert

WOTY Candidates

18 O&F Old Hill
16 LL 1910 Block
18 W&M Shifflett

Ian Sutton

#55 Post by Ian Sutton »

FWIW I'm surprised by her comments about 'heavy metals', which I take to be a reference to the long outlawed lead capsules, rather than the likes of Richie Blackmore or Robert Plant. Now there might also be legitimate reasons she would not like modern plastic 'foils', but it struck me as rather disingenuous to reference something long since outlawed, as if it were the alternative to no foil at all.

This not intended to any way condone the blogger's own ill-informed comments
Normal for Norfolk

Wes Barton

#56 Post by Wes Barton »

Ian Sutton wrote: May 3rd, 2021, 6:16 am FWIW I'm surprised by her comments about 'heavy metals', which I take to be a reference to the long outlawed lead capsules, rather than the likes of Richie Blackmore or Robert Plant. Now there might also be legitimate reasons she would not like modern plastic 'foils', but it struck me as rather disingenuous to reference something long since outlawed, as if it were the alternative to no foil at all.

This not intended to any way condone the blogger's own ill-informed comments
She also mentioned dyes. And no, she's obviously not referring to lead capsules. We're talking products made in countries that export poorly plated scrap metal mixes as "stainless steel". I just saw an ice cream scooper like that that looked like the plating was insufficient and the metal underneath was pocked out. Who knows what leeched into someone's kid's ice cream?

So, who knows what residuals might be left on the lips of bottles from some of these capsules? Yes, lead leaves residue. Yes, there are regulations. There are also counterfeit and substandard products of every type.

So, this guy is fine with naked bottles that are free, shipped from the winery to him, but he won't buy them because some freak with cooties may have picked up a bottle on a store shelf in a very very unconventional manner, but is fine with lord-knows-what residuals in products made from recycling and other waste. Neither is anything near likely to ever encounter, but his heebie-jeebie particulates are much less likely.
ITB - Useless lackey

Can't stand bloody wax capsules.

Mattstolz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#57 Post by Mattstolz »

I love this. Kelley responded a couple more times and just roasted the guy.

kelley_fox_wines
@sippingfinewine -Rather than choose to not purchase wines without corks that are covered, you wrote a winery that chooses not to cover their corks trying to get them to change their work to accommodate your personal issues. When you emailed me quite a while back, you told me about how you and your wife wash all of your groceries and you used a Halloween candy poisoning event along with potential Covid bioterrorism at wine stores as compelling reasons for me to cover my corks.
I didn’t respond to your email because it seems you are carrying trauma and it isn’t something I can help you with either personally or through my work. You didn’t stop there, though. You are trolling another person’s post about my work.

Markus S

#58 Post by Markus S »

Mattstolz wrote: April 28th, 2021, 5:33 pm seems like Kelley's got herself covered... haha
kelley_fox_wines
@sippingfinewine- you assume my reason for not using foils in my wines is because I want to save pennies. It’s arrogant to think you are privy to reasons for my decisions with my work. You have no idea who I am and i have no idea who you are, either. If you had asked me why I don’t use foils, I could have told you that I don’t want the presence of metal on my bottles. For quality reasons. I learned about this from my dear friends and importer of my wines in Japan back in 2016. I spare no costs when it comes to my work.
Not using foils is no less safe than having natural corks in contact with metals that could have also been tampered with in their places of origin. Also- what is actually in those foils? What is the allowed percentages of heavy metals in those? How are those heavy metals and dyes monitored by independent agencies to check for toxins? What is the impact on families and children living near these factories? Air quality? Water systems? I remember now that quite a while ago you wrote me an email about how you believe that people could and would put poison or pathogens as an act of terrorism onto the corks and that only foils would prevent this. What if someone used a tiny syringe to puncture the foils in a way that would be unnoticed? In that case, what about doorknobs, all types of handles, all public places, air vents to buildings and cars, elevator buttons, fruit and vegetables at the grocery store, meats at the butcher, fresh flowers, and quite a number of things that aren’t covered and sealed are serious threats. So are empty unsealed cardboard boxes with glass bottles that we use to put our wines in. Someone could put a pathogen in the bottles and some poison, too. Someone at the cork factory could take a tiny needle and inject pathogens into corks here and there and no one would ever know. I’m sorry that you think this way. It must be terrifying each day. I’m not being sarcastic. I feel compassion. Thank you for your nice comments about the actual wine, though. If you knew me, you would know my character.
:mic drop:
Rather an arrogant and snippy answer. Sounds like the troll got the response he/she wanted.
$ _ € ® e . k @

Peter Valiquette

#59 Post by Peter Valiquette »

This guy is so worried about people touching corks that he apparently overlooked the pigeage involved in production...

Chris Seiber
GCC Member
GCC Member

#60 Post by Chris Seiber »

While Kelley obviously has the right side of the argument, I do wonder whether that kind of sledgehammer as a response to a single online nut is the better approach, as opposed to just ignoring him, or maybe a simpler reply like

"Many of the world's fine wines are bottled without a foil capsule, and there is no effect on the quality or safety of the contents as a result. Here is a link to an article from the Wine Spectator explaining that the capsules are merely decorative and traditional at this point: https://www.winespectator.com/articles/ ... 20a%20cork."

The response also raises a critique of wineries that do use foils, and I don't think that's really helpful in responding to this guy.

I don't own a business, and I'm sure "if and how to reply to online trolls" is a tough decision that varies on a case by case basis.

Craig G
GCC Member
GCC Member

#61 Post by Craig G »

Peter Valiquette wrote: May 4th, 2021, 12:48 pm This guy is so worried about people touching corks that he apparently overlooked the pigeage involved in production...
Wait... I thought they didn’t submerge their corks?
“You need to look down to the bottom shelf where they keep the Fighting Cock” — Corey N.

C. Gle@son

Return to “Wine Talk”