No Capsule Guy strikes again!

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Jim Anderson
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

No Capsule Guy strikes again!

#1 Post by Jim Anderson »

A long time ago I posted, likely in a thread about corks and capsules (here's the thread viewtopic.php?f=1&t=169324&p=2979028&hi ... m#p2979028), about this guy who has/had a website called sippingfinewine.com where he reviewed wines from Kelley Fox then went on this rant about her lack of capsules and how he couldn’t buy these wines due to this feature as he felt it made the wines unsafe (or something). Funny he could taste them safely and write about them but could t possibly buy them. Well, he’s back. Someone wrote a heartfelt review of a wine of her’s on Instagram and way down in the comments under sippingfinewine he’s back with the exact same rant. Here’s the link.

For those of you lacking Instagram (totally understand):

"Kelly (sic) fox (sic) wines are amazing, however I will not drink them as she chooses not to protect her cork!! It's a shame she can't put some sort of cork protection on her wine bottles. It's pennies to protect a $70 bottle of wine. So i (sic) choose not to drink them!!"

He’s obviously not only got an issue that’s completely outsized to the actual “problem” but has some sort of machismo issue as well.

Thought folks would like to take the opportunity to dump on this guy again.
Last edited by Jim Anderson on April 28th, 2021, 4:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Co-owner, Patricia Green Cellars

Jim Anderson
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

Re: No Capsule Guy strikes again!

#2 Post by Jim Anderson »

Dupe

Chris Seiber
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by Chris Seiber »

I don't feel safe commenting on this thread because of the lack of capsules. Sorry.

D@vid Bu3ker
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#4 Post by D@vid Bu3ker »

Did my part, and was instantly warned by Instagram. I sense the troll has a plan.
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

D@vid Bu3ker
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#5 Post by D@vid Bu3ker »

Chris Seiber wrote: April 28th, 2021, 4:08 pm I don't feel safe commenting on this thread because of the lack of capsules. Sorry.
You do know that the church considers bottle condoms a sin.

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#6 Post by Marcus Goodfellow »

D@vid Bu3ker wrote: April 28th, 2021, 4:10 pm
Chris Seiber wrote: April 28th, 2021, 4:08 pm I don't feel safe commenting on this thread because of the lack of capsules. Sorry.
champagne.gif
Goodfellow Family Cellars
Winemaker & Owner

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by Tom G l a s g o w »

Funny the only dirty corks I’ve seen were under capsule.

Brian S t o t t e r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by Brian S t o t t e r »

But if you pour hot wax on it...
CT and IG: rieslinghoarder

2021 WOTY Candidates:
2019 Hofgut Falkenstein Niedermenniger Herrenberg Riesling Spätlese feinherb “Meyer Nepal” #11
2015 Kelley Fox Wines Pinot Noir Maresh Vineyard Red Barn Blocks
1997 Reichsgraf von Kesselstatt Scharzhofberger Riesling Auslese
2019 Emrich-Schönleber Halenberg Riesling Grosses Gewächs

dcornutt
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9 Post by dcornutt »

Whomever this is is missing some great wine.
DON Cornutt

" Care about what other people think and you will always be their prisoner." - LAO TZU

Kirk.Grant
GCC Member
GCC Member

#10 Post by Kirk.Grant »

Is it bad if I remove capsules because I want to be able to see if there is a line or fault in the cork?
Cellartracker:Kirk Grant

D@vid Bu3ker
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#11 Post by D@vid Bu3ker »

Kirk.Grant wrote: April 28th, 2021, 5:18 pm Is it bad if I remove capsules because I want to be able to see if there is a line or fault in the cork?
Ask the mohel. ;) ;)

Mattstolz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12 Post by Mattstolz »

Kirk.Grant wrote: April 28th, 2021, 5:18 pm Is it bad if I remove capsules because I want to be able to see if there is a line or fault in the cork?
only if you're ok with the idea of unprotected capsules! ew.

neener

Mattstolz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13 Post by Mattstolz »

seems like Kelley's got herself covered... haha
kelley_fox_wines
@sippingfinewine- you assume my reason for not using foils in my wines is because I want to save pennies. It’s arrogant to think you are privy to reasons for my decisions with my work. You have no idea who I am and i have no idea who you are, either. If you had asked me why I don’t use foils, I could have told you that I don’t want the presence of metal on my bottles. For quality reasons. I learned about this from my dear friends and importer of my wines in Japan back in 2016. I spare no costs when it comes to my work.
Not using foils is no less safe than having natural corks in contact with metals that could have also been tampered with in their places of origin. Also- what is actually in those foils? What is the allowed percentages of heavy metals in those? How are those heavy metals and dyes monitored by independent agencies to check for toxins? What is the impact on families and children living near these factories? Air quality? Water systems? I remember now that quite a while ago you wrote me an email about how you believe that people could and would put poison or pathogens as an act of terrorism onto the corks and that only foils would prevent this. What if someone used a tiny syringe to puncture the foils in a way that would be unnoticed? In that case, what about doorknobs, all types of handles, all public places, air vents to buildings and cars, elevator buttons, fruit and vegetables at the grocery store, meats at the butcher, fresh flowers, and quite a number of things that aren’t covered and sealed are serious threats. So are empty unsealed cardboard boxes with glass bottles that we use to put our wines in. Someone could put a pathogen in the bottles and some poison, too. Someone at the cork factory could take a tiny needle and inject pathogens into corks here and there and no one would ever know. I’m sorry that you think this way. It must be terrifying each day. I’m not being sarcastic. I feel compassion. Thank you for your nice comments about the actual wine, though. If you knew me, you would know my character.
:mic drop:

Kirk.Grant
GCC Member
GCC Member

#14 Post by Kirk.Grant »

Mattstolz wrote: April 28th, 2021, 5:33 pm seems like Kelley's got herself covered... haha
kelley_fox_wines
@sippingfinewine- you assume my reason for not using foils in my wines is because I want to save pennies. It’s arrogant to think you are privy to reasons for my decisions with my work. You have no idea who I am and i have no idea who you are, either. If you had asked me why I don’t use foils, I could have told you that I don’t want the presence of metal on my bottles. For quality reasons. I learned about this from my dear friends and importer of my wines in Japan back in 2016. I spare no costs when it comes to my work.
Not using foils is no less safe than having natural corks in contact with metals that could have also been tampered with in their places of origin. Also- what is actually in those foils? What is the allowed percentages of heavy metals in those? How are those heavy metals and dyes monitored by independent agencies to check for toxins? What is the impact on families and children living near these factories? Air quality? Water systems? I remember now that quite a while ago you wrote me an email about how you believe that people could and would put poison or pathogens as an act of terrorism onto the corks and that only foils would prevent this. What if someone used a tiny syringe to puncture the foils in a way that would be unnoticed? In that case, what about doorknobs, all types of handles, all public places, air vents to buildings and cars, elevator buttons, fruit and vegetables at the grocery store, meats at the butcher, fresh flowers, and quite a number of things that aren’t covered and sealed are serious threats. So are empty unsealed cardboard boxes with glass bottles that we use to put our wines in. Someone could put a pathogen in the bottles and some poison, too. Someone at the cork factory could take a tiny needle and inject pathogens into corks here and there and no one would ever know. I’m sorry that you think this way. It must be terrifying each day. I’m not being sarcastic. I feel compassion. Thank you for your nice comments about the actual wine, though. If you knew me, you would know my character.
She's pretty awesome!! (I've only met her once, but what an amazing & kind human)
flirtysmile
Cellartracker:Kirk Grant

R. Frankel
BerserkerDay Council
BerserkerDay Council

#15 Post by R. Frankel »

While I find arguing with highly confused people on the Internet usually not worth the effort, this is a truly beautiful response by Kelley. I salute her!

Plus her wines are absolutely fabulous.
Rich Frankel

Ron Slye
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#16 Post by Ron Slye »

R. Frankel wrote: April 28th, 2021, 5:45 pm While I find arguing with highly confused people on the Internet usually not worth the effort, this is a truly beautiful response by Kelley. I salute her!

+100

Mattstolz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17 Post by Mattstolz »

R. Frankel wrote: April 28th, 2021, 5:45 pm While I find arguing with highly confused people on the Internet usually not worth the effort, this is a truly beautiful response by Kelley. I salute her!

Kirk.Grant wrote: April 28th, 2021, 5:40 pm

She's pretty awesome!! (I've only met her once, but what an amazing & kind human)
flirtysmile
[/quote]

I love it. its exactly the kind of response I would expect from her... compelling, well thought out, direct, nice bit of bite.

my feeling is: more Kelley Fox wine available for the rest of us.

Tom R W

#18 Post by Tom R W »

Methinks a certain wine reviewer has a thing for Ms Kelley Fox and has difficulty expressing himself.

In 3rd grade I threw rocks at a girl I thought was pretty.
W a r r e n

Ian Dorin
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#19 Post by Ian Dorin »

The infatuation with capsules is bizarre. As far as science can tell, a lack of capsule isn't an issue.
ITB

“I spent half my money on gambling, alcohol and wild women. The other half I wasted.” -WC Fields

Zachy's

Vince T
GCC Member
GCC Member

#20 Post by Vince T »

Mattstolz wrote: April 28th, 2021, 5:33 pm seems like Kelley's got herself covered... haha
kelley_fox_wines
flirtysmile
This makes me want to run out and buy cases of her wine stat
T s 3 n g

T. Melloni
GCC Member
GCC Member

#21 Post by T. Melloni »

A 2018 Kelley Fox Pinot Noir Maresh Vineyard Red Barn Blocks was for me - at that moment - with that bottle - one of the best Pinot Noirs I have ever tasted. It had such life and freshness. Every sip - for me - was a moment of 'wow". Again, that is a moment in time, but it is a wine I will remember.

Sad to think that someone could lose an element of joy that wine offers by their own distraction of seeing a naked cork - one not covered with plastic, lead, aluminum, or some other hammered metal.
Tho m@s (sometimes); You can call me T.

Everybody's bragging and drinking that wine
I can tell the Queen of Diamonds by the way she shines. . .

Al Osterheld
GCC Member
GCC Member

#22 Post by Al Osterheld »

Some opinions are their own reward.

-Al

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#23 Post by alan weinberg »

and where would our astronauts be without these: https://www.google.com/search?q=space.c ... ent=safari

john stimson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#24 Post by john stimson »

The only bottle of hers that I have at the moment has a screw cap (a 2014). And yet, I'm terribly disappointed that it doesn't also have a capsule, and somewhat fearful of drinking the wine--for safety reasons. Otherwise, I'm thankful that I have purchased a large quantity of tin foil, with which I can protect my bottles, as well as cover my windows, and head, to protect against cosmic rays.

R Roberts

#25 Post by R Roberts »

Marcus Goodfellow wrote: April 28th, 2021, 4:26 pm
D@vid Bu3ker wrote: April 28th, 2021, 4:10 pm
champagne.gif
Freudian.
R.ama

Jared Wagner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#26 Post by Jared Wagner »

kelley_fox_wines
Kelley Fox is quite literally the smartest, coolest, and kindest person one could meet. She is also an incredibly talented winemaker who makes impossibly pure wines that luckily this dickhead will never drink again because he doesn't deserve them.

Kelley Fox rules!!

Jeff_M.
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#27 Post by Jeff_M. »

It is amazing at times what sets people off in life.
Jeff M 0 l l

2020 WOTY Candidates
2007 Yangarra Estate High Sands Grenache
1986 Spottswoode Cabernet
2012 Hartford Court Arrendell Vineyard Pinot Noir

2021 WOTY Candidates
2010 O'Shaughnessy Mt. Veeder

brigcampbell
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#28 Post by brigcampbell »

Jeff_M. wrote: April 29th, 2021, 11:03 am It is amazing at times what sets people off in life.
the guy probably drank too much wine with lead capsules.

Obviously, he's a knucklehead.
Don't hate me just because I'm rich and drive a Ferrari. I could buy this wine board. - Cash Steele

Jim Anderson
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#29 Post by Jim Anderson »

No Capsule Troll responded with, "I never said "FOIL" you did. I said "protect." There are may other ways to protect besides foil!! I am not purchasing wine that has a cork exposed gathering dust on the stores (sic) wine shelf and who knows how many people touching the bottle, not to mention anything about potential contamination, which is another issue."

Okay then. A lot to unpack there. This is either the worst trolling imaginable given the multiple self-owns or this person lives a life of fear and paranoia that's to a degree that is hard to comprehend. Is he writing letters to beer, water and soda companies that use pop top cans? That seal ends up RIGHT IN THE BEVERAGE!!! Fresh vegetables? Those must be out. Not sure whom he writes to there. Mother Nature? Safeway? Hard to say. Does he eat at restaurants? If he thought about what goes on back in the kitchen the way he does the masses swarming wine shelves he would definitely be eating Lunchables instead.

Anyway, he's an unusually self-centered guy trying to make a tasting note about him. Not very 21st century of him.

Ron Slye
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#30 Post by Ron Slye »

Not to mention the problem with other people "touching the bottle." I guess all bottles should be wrapped in saran wrap. Then when we buy them we can, using impermeable sterile gloves, unwrap and dispose of the saran wrap and then bring the bottle home.

I would feel more sorry for this guy if he was not being such an a$$ about the whole thing in public.

And yes, I learned a long time ago based upon first hand experience that it is generally preferable not to know too much about what happens in restaurant kitchens re handling of food. I assume it is one of the ways that we slowly build up our collective immunities.

brigcampbell
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#31 Post by brigcampbell »

Ron Slye wrote: April 29th, 2021, 11:36 am Not to mention the problem with other people "touching the bottle." I guess all bottles should be wrapped in saran wrap. Then when we buy them we can, using impermeable sterile gloves, unwrap and dispose of the saran wrap and then bring the bottle home.
With wines from Loire and CnDP it's what's inside that'll kill ya. [wow.gif]
Don't hate me just because I'm rich and drive a Ferrari. I could buy this wine board. - Cash Steele

R M Kriete
GCC Member
GCC Member

#32 Post by R M Kriete »

Well, if the bottle is vaccinated and the consumer is vaccinated, the CDC says no capsule is necessary.

Jim Anderson
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#33 Post by Jim Anderson »

brigcampbell wrote: April 29th, 2021, 11:39 am
Ron Slye wrote: April 29th, 2021, 11:36 am Not to mention the problem with other people "touching the bottle." I guess all bottles should be wrapped in saran wrap. Then when we buy them we can, using impermeable sterile gloves, unwrap and dispose of the saran wrap and then bring the bottle home.
On that note, on his Instagram page, he does have a review of Pool Toy Rosé. Maybe it's only what might be on the outside of things that he's concerned about!

Ron Slye
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#34 Post by Ron Slye »

Jim Anderson wrote: April 29th, 2021, 11:47 am
On that note, on his Instagram page, he does have a review of Pool Toy Rosé. Maybe it's only what might be on the outside of things that he's concerned about!
Oh come on. Now you are kidding! This is an SNL skit right?

Jim Stewart
GCC Member
GCC Member

#35 Post by Jim Stewart »

Hey, he really liked Kelley's wines and highly recommended them! As for the other "noise" . . . who among us has never been a DB ?
Age merely shows what children we remain.
-Goethe

But I've just noticed that my mind is asleep.
-Rimbaud

He's a wino, tried and true!
-Guy Clark

Jim Anderson
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#36 Post by Jim Anderson »

Ron Slye wrote: April 29th, 2021, 12:06 pm

How could I make that up?

Andrew Gold

#37 Post by Andrew Gold »

Jim Stewart wrote: April 29th, 2021, 12:21 pm Hey, he really liked Kelley's wines and highly recommended them! As for the other "noise" . . . who among us has never been a DB ?
I'm with Jim Stewart on this...

Rodrigo B
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#38 Post by Rodrigo B »

Jim Anderson wrote: April 29th, 2021, 12:35 pm
Ron Slye wrote: April 29th, 2021, 12:06 pm

How could I make that up?

Is he really that surprised that a pool toy is plastic?

Gotta say though, that wine's marketing team seems to know what they're doing. Lighter in weight because of the plastic and people don’t have to worry about bringing a corkscrew or having the bottle break and having shards of glass at the beach, pool or wherever they bring it to. All around designed to facilitate people bringing that wine outside and enjoying it without a fuss. They seem to know their target market pretty well and cater to them.
B r @ g @

Wes Barton

#39 Post by Wes Barton »

This ought to work on him:

"I'm so sorry this keeps happening! We bottle with capsules, but the deep state lizard-people keep removing them with their Jewish space lasers."
ITB - Useless lackey

Can't stand bloody wax capsules.

Mattstolz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#40 Post by Mattstolz »

Vince T wrote: April 28th, 2021, 7:42 pm

flirtysmile
do itttttttt

seriously though you won't regret it. and its the time to get them: there won't be any 2020 reds from her at all. I highly suggest the Maresh vineyard, which she farms herself, and the Mirabai, which is just so good for the price.
R M Kriete wrote: April 29th, 2021, 11:46 am Well, if the bottle is vaccinated and the consumer is vaccinated, the CDC says no capsule is necessary.
ok that made me LOL

Vince T
GCC Member
GCC Member

#41 Post by Vince T »

Mattstolz wrote: April 29th, 2021, 5:30 pm
Vince T wrote: April 28th, 2021, 7:42 pm
do itttttttt

seriously though you won't regret it. and its the time to get them: there won't be any 2020 reds from her at all. I highly suggest the Maresh vineyard, which she farms herself, and the Mirabai, which is just so good for the price.
Heheh, what’s one more box of Oregon wine right? Between patty green, Vincent, Walter Scott, Shiba weichern, division and aerea... I think I’ve bought more Oregon wine this year than in all previous years combined.
T s 3 n g

Al Osterheld
GCC Member
GCC Member

#42 Post by Al Osterheld »

The Kelley Fox wines are great. I don't have as many as I'd like, because I already have too much wine, but absolutely love the ones I've bought.

-Al

CCoulson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#43 Post by CCoulson »

Enjoying an enchanting Kelley Fox 2014 Momtazi as I read this.
Delicious. Drank over three days. Tight at first. Third night the best. Momtazi has more weight and spice than KF Maresh. Darker red fruit. Deeper color. Glad I have more bottles and vintages to enjoy over the next 20 years.
Cr0mw311 *I like to edit my posts for clarity

Alex N

#44 Post by Alex N »

He's quite active on Vivino - https://www.vivino.com/users/sippingfinewine

https://www.vivino.com/ES/es/belle-pent ... ?year=2017
Just love this wine, BUT NOT ANYMORE, READ END! Belle Pente means "beautiful slope" for their 70 acre hillside vineyard & winery site in Willamette. Bright Ruby, aromas of red fruits, herb & hints of blossom notes. On the palate strawberry & cherry flavors, slight sweet undertones, herb notes & smooth tannins. Well balanced on a long finish ending with mineral herb notes. Great value, but THEY LEAVE CORK EXPOSED, I WILL NO LONGER DRINK WINE WITH CONTAMINATED CORKS. PROTECT YOUR CORK, WAX COSTS PENNIES!
[cheers.gif]
@13x N1ch•!z

Wes Barton

#45 Post by Wes Barton »

He "WILL NO LONGER DRINK WINE WITH CONTAMINATED CORKS", but keeps tasting them.....and bitching about them.....because they're free samples for his blog. https://sippingfinewine.com/sample-policy/

"Constructive criticism", as he puts it. But, would rather blather in his own self-important echo chamber than ask a winemaker why they make this choice and why his weird obsession, er, concerns, may not be valid.
ITB - Useless lackey

Mariano Chiaramonte

#46 Post by Mariano Chiaramonte »

May I quote the great Italian novelist / philosopher Umberto Eco: “Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community. Then they were quickly silenced, but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It’s the invasion of the idiots.”

Paul @bbott

#47 Post by Paul @bbott »

Doesn’t Jewish tradition require two seals on a wine? Not sure if the lack of a capsule would prevent some Orthodox Jews from trying her wines.

Al Osterheld
GCC Member
GCC Member

#48 Post by Al Osterheld »

Well, if it's not a kosher wine, two seals won't make it so.

-Al

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#49 Post by Neal.Mollen »

Jim Stewart wrote: April 29th, 2021, 12:21 pm Hey, he really liked Kelley's wines and highly recommended them! As for the other "noise" . . . who among us has never been a DB ?
Dirt bag? Designated Bellydancer? Deciduous bark? Dubious busdriver? Downtown business?
I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

Wes Barton

#50 Post by Wes Barton »

Neal.Mollen wrote: May 2nd, 2021, 2:07 pm
Dirt bag? Designated Bellydancer? Deciduous bark? Dubious busdriver? Downtown business?
Doddering blowhard?
ITB - Useless lackey

Return to “Wine Talk”