2020 Schafer Frohlich Rieslings

Curiuos if anyone jumped on Panzer’s offering of the 2020 Schafer Frohlich rieslings? [Comment re: price removed due to inaccuracy - apologies Robert!]

I requested a handful of GGs. Even with the price increases these are very reliably excellent wines.

How is the 2020 vintage supposed to be?

I’m requesting a mixed case of the GGs since I can’t decide.

2020 from what I’ve heard is supposed to be a little leaner and with slightly higher acidity compared to 2019.

For Tim and Co, same oechsle at harvest and same acidity as '19, so not leaner and higher acid. Mats tells me the wines are remarkably seamless, elegant, and vibrant. As good, if not even better than the '19s.
I was disappointed that the prices weren’t lower post tariffs it was explained to me that the winery gave discounting last year to help get over the tariff hurdle, which is no longer the case. Additionally, the prices rose marginally excellars (5-10%), beyond the lack of discounting.
The prices are not higher as Mr Grahmann suggests. Same as last year, only the Felseneck GG is 10% higher in 750ml.

Ordered a mixed case. Only a little bit of dry wine, but I bought a good bit of dry from many producers in 2019. The Frohlich “village level” dry wines are fantastic, and half the price (or less) of the GGs. I’m also a big fan of the kabinett and spatlese wines, and have been since visiting the estate in fall 2003.

just got my 19s in…is it 20time already…? :wink:

but good to read quality is up to last year! think ill order some more for this year. Any idea on the quality of their Weissburgunder bottlings? liked 18 a lot when served at a restaurant last summer.

Gute Weine Lobenbergs shows a 5% price increase on the gutswein basic riesling…

Apologies Robert, just deleted that pricing comment in the original post.

Sorry, I was implying what I’m hearing from other producers re: the general 2020 vintage.

Didn’t mean to knock anyone’s comments, just trying to clarify.
I think that you will see different things, different places in terms of the '20s.
The Mosel, from what I hear at Max Ferd Richter at least, is leaner in a cooler classical vein than '19, whereas at Wagner Stempel in their netherregion corner of the Rhinehessen the wines are a half degree in alc higher, with a smidgen less acidity; there was virtually none of the western wind which usually helps to both cool and concentrate the grapes for Wag Stemp.
Bürklin Wolf made another “vintage of the century”, harvesting early once again. I am sure that some other Pfalz growers will be much riper/fatter…
Lots of details, as always…
A common denominator, I believe, is the long clear end of season, which allowed for exceptionally clean and pure fruit.

1 Like

Excellent!