Paso Robles assistance

Berserkers you have never let me down. Headed to Paso for the first time at the end of May. My wife and I mostly drink bold Cabernets from the likes of TRB, Pott and Mr. Piper. I will add that we prefer to visit places off the beaten path, but still have amazing quality. In saying that, I’m up for anything. If there are some places that come to mind I would appreciate your feedback. Thank you

Maybe start with https://www.wineberserkers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3043009 ?

Brecon Estate
Nicora
Herman Story
Clos Solene
Torrin
Kukkula
Nenow
Paix Sur Terre
Turtle Rock

1 Like

Doug’s list is great. I would add in L’Aventure as well. When specifically will you be there? I’d probably start reaching out to make reservations soon . . .

I would add Stanley & Elena at TOP. Highly recommended.

1 Like

I live here and work in the industry, this is my current top list :

BOOK AHEAD, almost everyone is completely booked into JUNE. This is not an exaggeration.

L’Aventure (disclosure, I work here)
Turtle Rock (Tin City)
Top (really great, off the beaten path)
Nelle / Cordant (Tin City)
Paix Sur Terre
Full Draw
Clos Solene
Villacana / Re:Find (for the distillery, wine is fine but spirits are great!)
Torrin
Law

Other places to go:
Les Petites Canailles - book this restaurant now or you aren’t going.
Alchemist Garden - they don’t do reservations so show up 30 minutes before you want to be seated, wander the green, they’ll text you to get your table.
Paso Wine Merchant - downtown, wine bar great fresh bites and a list of 60ish great local wines with no big markup, and they pour by the glass on several.
Fossil Wine Bar - if you’re in Atascadero, awesome people and non-local selection.

1 Like

Paul, I think there’s probably a couple ways to plan your trip depending on what you’re looking to achieve. It’s entirely possible that you could stay east of the 101 (HWY) most of your time if you’re looking for rich, modern Paso wines. You could likely spend most of your day in Tin City now - it’s changed quite a bit from our last visit in 2013 when Barrelhouse and Nicora were the only real tasting rooms open. (at least from what I recall…!) Now it’s evolved into a pretty happening place with food, music and plenty of tasting rooms. If you like these wines, I don’t doubt that you’d have a good time. The downsides that I could think of is that you won’t see where a lot of these wines are grown and lose some of the romance of Vineyard Drive and Adelaida Road (for example) and it can be a bit of a party destination too. That said, the people who make wine here are serious and you’ll taste both Paso and Santa Barbara County wines here too.

An alternative is to venture out into the westside, drive the winding roads and visit some of the benchmark wineries that have been producing wines here for the last couple decades or so. (in addition to some younger winemakers pouring out here). I think Denner, Tablas Creek and Turley would be top of my list to introduce you to the region. Not only should there be wines you find interesting here, but you’d also come away with a broad introduction into both the breadth of varieties planted here, but also the history and quality too. I would also highly recommend Paix Sur Terre, and think you would like Nicora (out at Tin City) as well. Nick at Nicora probably makes the best “modern” Rhone wines I’ve come across in Paso, and Ryan at PST has an excellent sense of what makes Paso compelling and that’s reflected in the wines.

Paul,

If you like bold wines I would suggest Aaron in Tin City.
Off the beaten path - I like Starr Ranch, I think you need to make reservations.
Tablas creek, Adelaida and Halter Ranch all are good and in the same area.
Paso is fun and beautiful, have a great time.

1 Like

I just recently reviewed my Central Coast inventory and here’s a quick list of names for you to consider (in alphabetical order):

Booker
Clos Solene
Denner (Anthony Yount is the winemaker; we are definite fans of his)
Giornata (the 2019 Fiano is amazing!)
Kinero (one of two Anthony Yount’s personal labels)
Lillian (Maggie Harrison is in Oregon, but Lillian fruit is sourced from Bien Nacido, Stolpman, White Hawk, etc.)
Liquid Farm
My Favorite Neighbor / Harvey & Harriet
Nicora (as noted, Nick Elliott does a great job!)
Paul Lato (not sure the value is here, but there are some bright spots)
Sandlands (Tegan Passalacqua’s personel label; great QPR)
Saxum (you won’t be able to taste here unless you receive allocations; the wait list is 6+ years)
Scar of the Sea (a real sleeper; the Bien Nacido Chard is consistently good)
Sea Smoke (can be hit and miss in my experience)
Tensley (worth a look)
TH (Terry Hoage) Estate (I only have one bottle purchased locally and not much experience here)
The Royal Nonesuch Farm (Anthony Yount’s second personal label)
Torrin / Lagom (Scott Hawley does a great job)
True Believer (aka Hammell Wine Alliance; Chris Hammell of Bien Nacido Vineyard)
Turley (Tegan Passalacqua is the winemaker)
Turtle Rock (recently started buying; have not tasted any yet)

In years past, I used to buy Dilecta, Villa Creek and Epoch, but for some reason(?) they have fallen out of my more recent purchase rotation. I may need to revisit them???

1 Like

As a Cab guy, might want to consider Daou.

-Al

There’s also SixMileBridge where Anthony Yount consults (along with his wife). I haven’t had the wines yet, but I’m certain they’re of good quality.

Plenty of people like Daou and the tasting room is a real hotspot. To me, you have to like 200% new oak to enjoy these wines…

2 Likes

If you are feeling adventurous and want to make an incursion into the natural wine world Ambyth Estate is the place.
+1 for Giornata, Tablas Creek and Paix sur Terre.

2 Likes

I haven’t had Six Mile Bridge wines but like Anthony Yount’s style. But, the OP stated he likes bold Cabs and I think Daou fits the bill.

-Al

1 Like

Wonderful. Thank you so much. I will get working on reservations. Time is ticking

1 Like

Villa Creek

While mostly Rhone varietals, I would say that if you like the wines of TRB, etc. you’ll probably love them. They’re sort of in a very similar style to Saxum, even sourcing some grapes from Saxum’s James Berry Vineyard.

My wife and I visited in October or November and couldn’t recommend more.

Somewhat dated, but if they will help, glad to provide

+1 on Aaron. They make killer Petite Syrah and PS Blends.

1 Like

One I haven’t seen mentioned yet that I can heartily recommend is Desparada. Think they’re in Tin City now, too. The winemaker, Vailia Esh, is married to Russell From of Herman Story. Her stuff is a little less in you face than her hubby’s. Another maker in their “family,” he works for Herman Story and makes his own label on the side, is Ultima Tulie, I’ve been really impressed with what I’ve tried so far (he makes petites, Syrahs and blends of both), and their stuff is poured at Paso Underground, downtown.

1 Like

I recently had my first bottle from Law Estates and came away impressed. I would definitely recommend.

Be aware of travel distances when scheduling. Example, Tin City to Tablas Creek is a long drive. We always start way out towards Tablas creek and work our way back. Two benefits are you get to drive Adelaida Rd, Peachy Canyon Rd. and Vineyard Dr. in the morning when traffic is lighter and you may see some wildlife along the way. Love these 3 roads. The other benefit is you will not be way out in the sticks when the tasting day is done.
We had dinner here a month ago and it was very good. http://www.hatchpasorobles.com/