Please help me pick two bottles from my collection

Hi everyone- a friend is visiting who is interested, though inexperienced, with wine. He has a good palate, but lacks the experience to know which styles he prefers. I’m planning to roast a chicken (since it pairs with nearly everything) and open two nice bottles to share. I personally favor cool-climate, more reserved styles, that are nicely aged, though I’m flexible.

What two bottles from my collection compliment one another and might appeal to this highly interested noob? I’d love to hear what you think, bc I’m having trouble choosing! Asterisk next to the ones I’m most considering.

Red:
Jean-Claude Boisset Chambolle-Musigny Les Charmes 2015
Louis Jadot Gevrey-Chambertin Les Cazetiers 2014
Léoville Barton 1996
Le Gay 1986
Jaboulet Hermitage La Chapelle 2003
Oddero Barolo 1974
Stella di Campalto, Rosso di Montalcino 2015
Valdicava Brunello di Montalcino 1999
CVNE Vina Real Gran Reserva 1981
Robert Mondavi Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve 1977
Silverado Vineyards, Cabernet Sauvignon, 1986
Raen Pinot Noir, Freestone Occidental, Bodega, Sonoma Coast, 2016

White:
Trimbach Clos Ste Hune 2011
Trimbach Cuvee Frederic Emile 375th Anniversary 2001
Louis Latour Corton-Charlemagne 1990
Laville Haut Brion 2001
Ygrec (Y de Chateau d’Yquem) 2015
Lopez de Heredia Vina Tondonia Blanco Reserva 2005
Aubert Chardonnay Larry Hyde & Sons 2017

Sparkling:
Andre Beaufort, Brut Nature, Champagne, France 2002
Laherte Freres “Les 7”, Champagne 2005-2016

Also, I’m not opposed to opening three bottles, and saving some until the next day. Also not opposed to changing the menu. If we’re still standing, might cap the night off with Climens 1990 or Suduirat 2001 (both of which I have in half bottles). Or Scotch.

96 Barton and the 77 mondavi

2 Likes

As someone who is inexperienced with wine, I’d want to try the LdH Tondonia and the Laherte Freres with a roast chicken. The Tondonia Blanco was a standout wine for me when I first started, and everyone likes bubbles. I don’t know Andre Beaufort, so can’t comment on that.

Latour CC 1990
Jadot Cazetiers 2014
It’s roast chicken, after all.

I’d avoid the Tondonia Blanco and the Latour CC. Aged/oxidative whites tend to be a fairly hit or miss and polarising for a lot of people, especially those with relative inexperience to wine.

The Mondavi Cab and Leoville Barton IMO would likely be the most interesting to open and try side by side to compare two aged Cab based wines from different regions. A champagne to start things off is always nice, both that you’ve listed would do the trick nicely.

2 Likes

One vote for the LdH blanco. As a new wine lover with the ability to focus, that wine can be rather haunting. And it’s incredible with food. Only downside is it can be polarizing.

For your friend’s sake, I suppose a red would then be in order. You could stay in Spain with the 81 CVNE… I mean, what do you want to drink? Open something you’re pumped to try as well. If not a Spanish duo, I’m with Michael on the 96 Leoville Barton. High chance of performing as it should and if your friend hasn’t had aged Bordeaux he’s in for a treat.

Now if I’m coming, we’re opening the 90 Corton Charlemagne…

I would open the Stella Campalto and the Aubert. Noobs need some overt love.

1 Like

How good a friend?

The 2001 CFE 375th anniversary to show him what truly great is, and then maybe the 2014 Caztiers.

Drag race the Boisset and the Raen together, side by side, the whole meal if this is about getting some learning done.

1 Like

Totally agree! I’d go with the Aubert for sure, and prob the Raen. Aged wines and definitely oxidative wines are harder for peeps newer to the ‘hobby’ to appreciate.

I’d go with the Raen and Aubert for the dinner, then grab a bunch of inexpensive single varietals to teach with.

one Pinot
one Chardonnay

LdH instead of Chardonnay if you want to swing for the fences.

Champagne/Aubert
Valdicava/Raen

While civilians almost always like Champagne, I don’t think it tends to be a gateway into a passion for wine. I’ve never heard of that happening, anyway.

I think it feels like a different type of beverage and experience, particularly to a civilian, compared to still wines.

I like the possibilities the Corton Charlemagne offers and would have the Aubert as backup if it isn’t intact. The Frederic Emile would be my third choice for a white.
For a red, I’d do another aged selection with the '77 Mondavi, possibly use the Silverado as a backup. If you had an aged pinot, that would have been my first choice.

Sounds like a delicious dinner idea.

Cheers,
fred

+1

You have any white Rhones? Those go very well with roast chicken.

1 Like

With chicken?

+1

I love the Tondonia Blanco, but it’s a very eccentric wine that many people might think was spoiled. I can’t imagine serving that to someone to introduce them to great wines, even though I can be great.

1 Like

Absolutely! Roast chicken is a great match for mature reds.