Grenache Blanc recommendations

Please help me out with some Grenache Blanc or Grenache Blanc blend. Looking for something <<$30 to open anytime.

A couple I have enjoyed around 30$:

1. Epoch - about 50% GB with Viognier and Roussanne
  2. Ridge Adelaida - 77% GB with Picpoul and Roussanne
  3. Tablas Creek - 100% GB

Tablas Creek
Tercero
Domaine de L’Oustal Blanc
Domaine du Mas Blanc
Domaine Lafage Cuvée Centenaire
M. Chapoutier Les Vignes de Bila-Haut Blanc

Tablas Creek, Beau Rivage, Bevela, Orr WA State, Sandlands

Curran

2 Likes

Jaffurs

??? Are you sure your not thinking Chenin Blanc?

1 Like

Jason Haas of Tablas Creek also had some interesting comments about the variety in a recent episode of the Bedrock podcast. It’s maybe 1 minute of a 2-hour episode, but the whole thing is great. One comment (I hope I’m paraphrasing him accurately) was that he finds the variety much better suited to be a “lead grape” as opposed to a “blending grape” when grown in CA as opposed to CdP.

We’ve really enjoyed the Grenache Blanc from Tablas. Two more from Paso that we liked - Adelaida and Halter Ranch.

while not a big proponent of the variety, I strongly agree with the Tablas Creek Vineyard recommendations. Jaffurs too. Cheers

1 Like

This!

Maybe the most consistently good <$20 wine there is. Or in a very small group.

+1, Tablas Creek and Halter Ranch are my favorites at the moment.

I was positively surprised by Ridge’s rendition of Halter Ranch’s GB grapes (2019 being the first vintage). I expected it to be a little heavy handed, given the full malolactic fermentation and the oak treatment. It turned out just right, refreshing and well rounded.

From Boushey vineyard- Yak Valley Washington

Two Vintners- perennial favorite 100% $30
Syncline- same

1 Like

I would give a shout out to Anthony Yount of Kinero Cellars (one of two personal labels; the other being The Royal Nonesuch Farm). The Kinero Alice Grenache Blanc is $25 and worth every penny. Anthony happens to be the winemaker at Denner too.

2 Likes

Second for Tercero.

Capcanes Mas Donis Garnacha Blanca s quite lovely, from Montsant, Spain.

my favorite for many years was the Viñedos de Ithaca Odysseus bottling from Priorat. I don’t know if they are even in production still as the internet has a memory hole there. another great one was scala dei’s brugueres. it’s probably a bit over $30 but you never know.

Second on Two Vintners, always a delicious bottle.

1 Like

I will throw my hat in the ring on this one. It is a variety I know very well, having worked with it for over 15 years here in the Santa Barbara county area. Just like with any variety, it can be made in many different styles. I tend to make mine with a good amount of richness and nice acidity to balance it off. Reach out directly if you have any further questions.