An evening with friends, some TNs

Finally the family and some close friends are fully vaccinated + 2 weeks, so we decided an evening of convivial gathering was in order. Nothing grand, but oh how fun it is to see other people’s faces in person and not through a computer screen.

• 2019 Trathen Hall Sauvignon Blanc - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley (4/18/2021)
    Right away what seemed to be pure passion fruit juice. Then a bit of starfruit, lime, celery, and tomato leaf. Mineral, with some slight saline and plenty of acidity… The passion fruit reminded me so much of my childhood. Felt like I was drinking an adult juice box really.

ABV: 13.2%
Closure: DIAM 5
Decant:N/A
Stem: Gabriel-Glas StandArt
Assemblage: 90% barrel fermented in neutral French oak, 10% stainless steel. 8 months on lees, no malo, weekly stirring for the first 2 months. 60% Croft Vineyard, 40% La Chenaie Vineyard

• 2018 Goodfellow Family Cellars Pinot Noir Upper Bench Temperance Hill - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Eola - Amity Hills (4/18/2021)
    A bit muted on the nose at first, but with some vigorous swirling some red fruits started to emerge on the nose. They felt shy, lithe, yet concentrated and ready to pounce and spring into action once time arrives. Strawberries, tart cherries, just picked raspberries, and roses. And oh boy did the long decant do it justice and bring the fruit around. It reminded me of of Muhammed Ali’s famous quote before his fight with Sonny Liston, “float like a butterfly, sting like a bee.” Structured, mouth coating chalky tannins on the palate and a really bright acidity that carries the wine. A delightful earthy, steely finish that last a good minute or two. Throughout dinner there was a pine-like aroma I couldn’t quite place until it finally came to me in the last glass, myrrh! Is Marcus one of the Magi? I don’t know. I’ll need to make a pilgrimage to Oregon to find out. He certainly seems to bear bountiful gifts that will keep on giving though. Drink starting 2027.

ABV: 13.0%
Closure: DIAM 10
Decant:5h
Assemblage: From just a few rows in Temperance Hill. Just 0.35 tons of grapes. 100% whole cluster, fermented in an old barrel. 25 cases made

• 2010 Copain Pinot Noir Combe de Gres Kiser - USA, California, North Coast, Anderson Valley (4/18/2021)
    From magnum. Very aromatic and floral. Sweet red fruit, juicy strawberries, and tart cherries. Lots of tertiary notes developing. Mushroom, earth, rhubarb, turnip. Long finish, filled with baking spices, clove. Good acid and soft, velvety tannins. After a while it occurred to me that this seemed like an earthy strawberry rhubarb pie in a glass. In a great spot now. Drink now-2024

ABV: 13.2%
Closure: natural cork
Decant: 3h

• 2003 Croix de Beaucaillou - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Julien (4/18/2021)
    Black fruit, leather, sweet tobacco, earth. Well-integrated polished tannins. At peak now. Drink in the next 5 years

ABV: 13%
Closure: natural cork
Decant:1h

2 Likes

Nice notes. Just got back from Oregon and we stopped by to see Marcus and Megan. Picked up some wines and chatted. Yes his wines definitely need time. I always like them better on day 2.

Great notes and appreciate the addition of closure, glass used, and decanting time. Looking to host a similar gathering with friends as our group becomes fully vaccinated as well!

+1 [cheers.gif]