TNs: 01 Pepe Montepulciano, 89 Latour RSV

Two glorious, even transcendental wines. These wines are always better shared and I’ve been waiting to open this Pepe as it is one of my bucket list wines, but I don’t have many opportunities to do so. It didn’t disappoint, and it was more than matched by the RSV from a generous friend.

2001 Emidio Pepe Montepulciano d’Abruzzo
There are two versions of this bottle, an old vines one that’s exported to the US and UK and a young vines one that’s sold in Europe. Cork said 2017 which meant it was a late release bottling of the old vines version.

Pepe has reputation for brett but this was surprisingly clean and polished, especially compared to the younger rose that I had last month. Very tight on opening, immense structure and concentration of fruit, with all the classic Italian notes of earth and soil. The power and depth of this wine blew me away.

1989 Louis Latour Romanée St. Vivant Les Quatre Journaux
Latour has its detractors but I haven’t had a problem with their wines (admittedly from a sample size of two). So quintessentially Vosne such that for once I guessed everything right, the plot with a little help as I was told it was a a GC after I guessed correctly it was a Vosne.

A floral and earthy nose, this was a sleek and polished wine. It had a cherry cola element to it that gave a little sweetness, and the tannins have fully mellowed out to give a delicacy that the best Pinots have. This doesn’t have the intensity of the best GCs but more than makes up for it with its elegance. When Burgundy is on, there is nothing quite like it.

1 Like

Nice wines! Love to see the note on a Pepe with some age. I’ve not had one that old, but look forward to it one day. Singular wines.
The RSV sounds really nice.
Thanks for the notes.

1 Like