TN: 2019 Briceland Vineyards Gewürztraminer Ishi Pishi Ranch

• 2019 Briceland Vineyards Gewürztraminer Ishi Pishi Ranch - USA, California, North Coast, Humboldt County (4/16/2021)
    Excellent dry gewurztraminer. Do not overchill. Out of the refrigerator it was just good, but as it warmed, the aromatics blossomed. Strong Lychee taste on the palate. Nose was more subdued with a light floral component. Sugar fully vinified and no sweetness. Some other tropical fruit. A bit of pineapple. Back of the palate spice bitterness characteristic of the grape. Excellent Berserkerday value. (90 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Just got my Briceland berserker day order and can’t wait to try this. Andrew’s white wines are often overlooked and provide and excellent value.

Hi Jay,

It was nice to chat by phone the other day. Glad you liked that one. It thought you might.

Let me know when you get into the others.

Also, thanks Chad, for your comments on our whites. I sometimes wonder if people don’t think it’s worth it to ship whites.

Hey Andrew, the whites are wonderful and certainly worth shipping, but with limited cellar space what do I knock out to make room for more? Ishi Pishi Ranch Zinfandel, Syrah, Cabernet, or Merlot? Ronda’s Pinot Noir? Dark Horse Zinfandel? And the list goes on. It’s a conundrum.

I didn’t do a note, but also thought this Gewurz was really tasty, and nicely balanced. Gewurz can often get too fat and bitter and this was just in the sweet spot for me.

Opened the 2018 Arneis with lunch. On first pour, it showed a bit of the spicy and bitter notes that I usually associate with Gewurtz – though in pretty mild form. I put a bit of mild curry powder in my quesadilla, and the wine was a fantastic foil. Half an hour later, the wine is starting to show some sweeter fruit on the palate. I’ll be curious to see how this one develops with air.

This was definitely not “fat.” I provide that all by myself. :slight_smile: There was a back end bitterness, but it was very light and balanced with back end spice. By the way . . . I forgot to mention that hte finish was VEERRYY long. I could taste the wine well after I swallowed it.