Holy Smokes! TN: 2014 Marguet - "Chouilly" (France, Champagne, Champagne Grand Cru)

Wow. Just … wow! flirtysmile

2014 Marguet Champagne Grand Cru Chouilly - France, Champagne, Champagne Grand Cru (4/15/2021)
– popped and poured –
– tasted non-blind over a couple hours –
– 100% Chardonnay –
– no dosage; disgorged: Feb. 2019 –

Airy, bright Nose with juicy Fuji apple dominating. Light/airy, and dry on the palate. Very dry, but the fruit here is rich, juicy, and crystalline. Remarkably stunning from the first sip to the last. This comes across as clean, refreshing, and delightfully focused. Extremely moreish. Gut impression score: 95 - 96. Absolutely spectacular! I struggle to imagine how a no-dosage blanc de blancs could get much better than this. Not sure I’d age this very long, and with how good it is today I don’t really see the point in doing so, either. Unbelievably delicious!

3 Likes

That’s quite a note! I’ve not really explored Marguet as there are too many different bottlings for me to get a handle on. But maybe I’ll start with this one.

Crayeres was really impressive, too, Sarah, if you prefer a Pinot Noir.

This Chouilly played nicely with each of:
raw hamachi
seared scallops
shrimp and corn sauteed in Old Bay hot sauce

1 Like

Reckon why it isn’t labeled extra brut, brut zero or non-dose?

The back label does indicate no dosage.

Nice review.
Scott at Lopa Wine just offered this last night. I was quick to jump on the offer. (Including Doquet’s 2008 ‘Le Mesnil’)

1 Like

I just got some, excited, after reading this!

1 Like

2014 Marguet Champagne Grand Cru Chouilly - France, Champagne, Champagne Grand Cru (6/18/2022)
– popped and poured –
– tasted non-blind over 1.5 - 2 hours –

NOSE: buttery popcorn; Golden Delicious apple; and – somehow – a cool little oceanic bit comes in, too.

BODY: active bead; medium-light bodied.

TASTE: very dry; apple, especially on the finish; rich, but taut and energetic; too acidic for Ash to love it (she estimates she’s around 90 pts on this); not sure this bottle is any better than the one I had 14 months previously, so perhaps this is simply a fantastic immediate drinker – I do question if this has the stature to age well, but I don’t really care – it’s delicious now. Excellent pairing with sushi, although – quite frankly – something more austere, or more mineral-laden, would have been even better. I love this wine, and regret not buying more than I did — won’t be making that mistake again. My gut impression score for this bottle is in the 92-94 territory.

1 Like

I haven’t tried their Chouilly but absolutely love their Sapience. I will have to seek this one out. Thanks for the TN.

1 Like