TN: 2016 Ridge Zinfandel Buchignani Ranch (USA, California, Sonoma County)

• 2016 Ridge Zinfandel Buchignani Ranch - USA, California, Sonoma County (4/14/2021)
    A chalkier Zin. Prob the 21% Carignane in there (a grape I’ve never really had much luck with). The American Oak is very well integrated and subtle. Softer end. A nice food wine, feels a little old world and rustic somehow. (89 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Baby Killer [wow.gif]

Opened this last night and had a similar experience. Very cool-fruited versus what I normally expect from a Ridge (or any new-world) Zinfandel-based wine. I chalked it up to the very modest 13.7% alcohol content which has to stem from a very atypical vintage/harvest regime. It is notable that this released to ATP in the most recent shipment, with the 2018 Buchignani Carignane as a companion offering. They held this one back for a reason. I will let my remaining bottle sit and try to choose an occasion where it will be better showcased. It was ho-hum with tex-mex fajita cuisine last night.

Cheers,
fred

I actually prefer the Carignane to the Zinfandel from Buchignani Ranch. They do both perform better with time.