Decanting Advice on 2008 Dominus?

Any thoughts out there?

thank you in advance

bump

Good info in here.

It’s just a pity that most of the users don’t add any decanting information at all.

1 Like

How many drinkers?

I think it can take a lot of air. I had a bottle in 2019 that was double decanted 12 hrs before drinking and it was very good, but restrained.

Lost of notes seem to say 2 hr decant (with a few 5s), or began opening after 2 hrs. I always take a small sip after opening, and about every 1/2 hour while in the decanter if I’m unsure.

We have found Dominus in the 10-15 year range to benefit from 2-3 hours of decanting before starting to drink. For older bottles I like to double decant an hour before the meal and then recork

1 Like

Agreed, and it serves as a good reminder for me, I don’t put that in as much as I should. I also appreciate knowing how much sediment drinkers are finding.

I will try to include that into my notes too (the sediment thing).

thank you all!

I’ve had this twice over the past eight months or so. One bottle was more forward: gorgeous after 1.5hr decant. The other was completely shut down on opening & took 4hrs+ to get going (and was going strong 24 hrs later). YMMV.

My 2 cents - open it early in the day, double decant, then check in on it a couple hours later. Depending on how shut down or open it is, you can leave as-is, decant further, etc. until you’re ready to roll. It’s a fantastic wine. Enjoy!