TN: 2018 Dirty and Rowdy Mourvèdre Old Vine Evangelho Vineyard

• 2018 Dirty and Rowdy Mourvèdre Old Vine Evangelho Vineyard - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Contra Costa County (4/13/2021)
    There is just something about the Evangelho Vineyard that speaks to me. Combine that with the psychedelic concert trip that is Hardy Wallace’s winemaking, and magic is bound to happen. The 2018 is certainly evidence of magic. It’s hard to understand how a wine can pack so much flavor into such a lithe form. That sappy element that always says “Evangelho” to me is front and center, but it’s never heavy. It’s just the bass line over which the rest of the music is playing. On top of that there’s guitar, keys, even some horns, all sustained by that beating heart bass. Some high toned citrus singers bring the joy, and I can’t stop going back for another verse…err…sip. What a jam!

Posted from CellarTracker

5 Likes

Word.

2 Likes

That’s a great note!

1 Like

[worship.gif] David- Thanks so much! This is an amazing note!!!

1 Like

I’m planning to open a bottle tonight. What are your serving suggestions: pop + pour, decant, open early? How long?
Thanks.

Pop it open, and pour a small glass. Stick the rest in a decanter for 2 hours or more.

1 Like

Circling back, I took a taste and decanted the bottle at 3pm. Very primary fruit, great acidity, not giving much of anything else. Served 4 hours later, still very primary and acidic, but gamy, mineral, and licorice aromas lurk in the background. Reminds me a bit of young Belluard Mondeuse. My first taste of D&R Mourvedre, so I am obviously unfamiliar with its aging curve, but I will hold for awhile the other two bottles I found at a non-winesearcher store in Eugene (finally, I benefit from my brother’s decision to live in that godforsaken town) that he will pick up and store for me.

I haven’t bought a bottle of US wine in 5-ish years, but I will explore the D&R portfolio further. I’m eager to taste through the six-pack of mixed 2018 Mourvedre on the way from D&R. Clearly, I’m late to the game, but I’m impressed.

Opened a bottle tonight, and it’s like seeing an old friend. Everything picks up right where you left off, and it’s harmony from beginning to end. I have had a lot of great wines, but I don’t think I have had another that feels so close. Thank you @H_Wallace_Jr

1 Like

Thanks so much @David_Bu3ker ! The 18 is a special Evangelho for sure!