Saint Emilion 2022 classification

Next year ten years will have elapsed since the the last ever controversial classification.

Any predictions

Lawsuits

2 Likes

That is a given. Over under for that is five.

No changes in Premiere Classe A. But probably price increases!

Chateau Figeac upgrade.

Irrelevant.

I don’t think I have ever once bought a wine from Saint Emilion based on an alleged qualitative ranking. I barely buy anything from this once-heralded appellation anyway.

Had a 2001 Cos the other day and really expected it to be good. Love the vintage and I thought it predated “the turn.” I was wrong. It wasn’t bad necessarily, but it wasn’t what I wanted or expected.

Cos is St. Estephe, not Emilion :wink:

1 Like

Can you tell them apart these days?

[snort.gif]

Cos is not in St. Emilion, and the “turn” you are thinking of occurred in the mid-90s.

In my mind St. Emilion = Cheval Blanc.

1 Like

LOL thank you sir. Mind in a fog.

lawsuits is the only answer this thread needs.

That’s about all that’s left.

Ripeau. There are certainly at least a few dozen others with sane pricing and classic credibility, at least as classic and credible as you can get with this climate.

Dan Kravitz

1 Like

Great call Dan. Haven’t had one in a while; I need to fix that.

Interesting, neither had I. Jumped on Leve’s site, looks like the estate sold in 2014 and now scoring on the wine is like 6-8 points higher and right in his wheelhouse. A modern shift?

Figeac will probably be promoted to GCA., where it should always have been.
No other real candidates for series A

Boy I hope not

Did not know ownership had changed and have not had a vintage since then. My last 2001 was singing last year, I’ve got some 2010, but haven’t pulled a cork yet, I hope it’s not too different. I guess I’ll try one of the 2010s at the end of the year although I expect it to be too young. Will pull the cork the night before, pour an ounce and hopefully it will be ready the next day (my usual way of dealing with Bordeaux that’s a bit too young).

Dan Kravitz