TNs: '05 Phelan Segur 05, '07 Standish Relic and '17 Javillier Bourgogne Oligocene

• 2005 Château Phélan Ségur - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Estèphe (13/4/2021)
    Perfect cork. Quintessential Bordeaux with a lovely bouquet of some old school funk and cedar. Still a puppy, this has some way to go yet but I don’t think that it has the complexity to develop much further. Still enjoyed this very much though, firm tannins and fruit is restrained rather than overripe for such a big vintage.
  • 2007 The Standish Wine Company The Relic - Australia, South Australia, Barossa, Barossa Valley (13/4/2021)
    Dried out cork that broke into half but no signs of seepage, but the first thing you notice is the incredibly obnoxious bottle weight. The wine itself is unabashedly new world, it was so Aussie that I could hear it calling out ‘g’day mate’ to us. Purple hue, a very ripe and inky wine with some sweet plummy fruit and fig. The exuerbance has mellowed down, however and it is not a caricature of a wine, well-integrated fruits and not overworked at all. Not my go-to wine but others enjoyed this very much.
  • 2017 Domaine Patrick Javillier Bourgogne Blanc Cuvée Oligocène - France, Burgundy, Bourgogne Blanc (13/4/2021)
    Some Meursault in this from Pellands which is classified half village and half Bourgogne. Rather young and hasn’t quite come together yet, but the weight is very good for its level with lots of citrus fruits to the point where I felt I was drinking Mama Lemon. Made in an old-school, fatter style, good for the price but not sure it quite punches above its weight like many have mentioned.

Phelan Segur doesn’t get much love on these boards. It should. They were not classified which keeps the price low, and the wines are lovely.

I have had bottles from the seventies which show it can age, but the sweet spot seems to be around the 15/20 year mark

Definitely agree Mark! My first time trying this producer and was very impressed by the restraint especially because this was from the height of extraction and Parkerization.