TN: carry that weight

Title inspired by the heavy water thread.

Pierre Luneau-Papin, Muscadet Sevre et Maine, ‘Clos des Allees’, ‘vieilles vignes’, 2006
Medium colored. There is a slight sherryesque-vin jaune type aroma, but this doesn’t carry over to the wine when tasting.
Softish salinity with an earthy dimension on the finish, a kombu-like umami succulence present, along with a nibble of salted lemon rind.
Holding it’s own for a $15-15 year old wine. This still has the pretty spring-green oval label. A-

Podere Poggio Scalette, Alta Valle Della Greve IGT, ‘Il Carbonaione’, 2009
Still quite undeveloped in any sense, but without the tannic wall of the last bottle. Hold or drink anytime you want a dose of
black cherry and blackberry. 13.5%

de Fermo, Cerasuolo d’Abruzzo Superiore, ‘Le Cince’, 2018
Color a very light, pale pink with the slightest tint of orange. Alcohol aromas poke thru the savory watermelon aroma, but fortunately, it stays away from the flavors in the mouth. Savory herbs, cinnamon-watermelon wash, almost like a poor man’s Valentini without the swamp & sulfur extract. 13% B+/A-

ArPePe, Rosso di Valtellina, 2013
I’m not sure what the longevity of these Rosso’s are, but this is probably not as good as an earlier bottle I had of it. Sure, the red delicious apple skin and sweet red currant is still there and that crunchy “mountainess” of Valtellina, but I was a little let down by it. A 2010 that I had at around the same age had more going for it, so perhaps the vintage? B+

Nicolas Rossignol, Volnay, ‘Santenots’, 2011
Red cherry-berry on a thin to medium frame, with hibiscus and spice notes to end. Nice acidity and only a hint of the 2011 savoriness.
Held well 5 days later. A-

Luis Seabra, Duoro, Xisto Ilimitado, 2017
Darkish ruby red color. Dark, fragrant fruit on the nose: blueberry, boysenberry, a finish of floral incense on the finish. Tannin is on the soft side, akin to fruit skin. I’m also getting a lovely fragrance of rosehips and lavender. Unfortunately, it loses robustness on the second day
and I feel disappointed. 13%

That Muscadet sounds delicious. Also thanks for triggering an idea for a future thread title.

Thanks for the notes. The first time I had this wine, it was the 2013 vintage (in 2017). I was immediately taken by the freshness and delicacy. I tried the 2014: letdown. I tried the 2016: letdown. I was told the 2015 was along the same lines. So I got off the bandwagon and kept on the Sassella Stella Retica Riserva instead.

Happy to hear that the Luneau-Papin is still alive and kicking. I had the 2018 a couple of weeks ago and it was so tight, it was difficult to even guess at what was hiding within it. You answered that question. Cheers!

Markus S wrote:
carry that weight

When I first saw the title of the thread I was thinking there was going to be an Abbey Road, side 2 reference. champagne.gif

Ed