What Piedmont Vintages Are You Backfilling?

I was pursuing through my cellar tracker looking at all the 2106 Barolo and Barbaresco that is tucked away sleeping soundly for the foreseeable future and noticed I have zero (literally zero) wines older than ‘08 from Piedmont.

Since I’d like to drink some Nebbiolo sooner than a decade from now what vintages are you all backfilling that are ready to go now?

I already drink good, young Langhe Nebbiolo so that ready to drink itch is already scratched, I’m looking for wines with age.

According to Google I should be looking at anything 1996-2001 and 1990

1978, 1982, 1985, 1989 & 1990, depending on the Agricola. Also, provenance is critical in my opinio.

Good hunting!

1 Like

I’d be wary of 1997, which was a very warm year. Not in the same league as 96, 99 and 01. I haven’t ever had many 2000s, but when I visited in 2002, the winemakers were baffled by Suckling/WS branding it as vintage of the century. You might get some deals on 2000s, though.

Back in the 2000s, I thought '98 was somewhat underrated, but haven’t opened one in a while. The 98s certainly don’t have the reputation of 96, 99 or 01. FYI, 1996 was a very tannic year, so those will likely be less approachable than other vintages of the same era.

There are 04s and 06s that drink well, and they might be easier to find.

2000 is certainly not the vintage of the century, but there are very good approachable wines to be had in that vintage. I have no concerns about the quality of the 2000s, and the pricing seems to be quite good these days.

It’s tough to find many really nice Piedmont wines from 1996-2008, IMO, unless you’re willing to spend a good chunk. I’ve been backfilling a few '09-'13 wines, though, when I find them at reasonable prices. A 2009 Oddero Gallina Barbaresco tried recently was worth grabbing 3 more bottles…but it’s not in prime drinking yet.

It has always seemed to me that that these are relatively much more scarce than other regions.

If you are looking for older ones through retail channels, consider signing up for CSW mailing list, if you are not already on it.

If I were backfilling from 89-10, I would choose the following vintages for absolute quality:

89, 96, 99, 01, 04, 06, 08. Add '10 if you can get the right price, but I don’t think '10 fills your need for drinking soon.

I agree with 98 being a good option and will be likely relatively cheaper. Other vintages can be good, but I think you can do just fine with the above. I think 08 is a terrific choice if you prefer grace and balance.

I think '11s are pleasing and forward, would fill your need, and will peak before 04, 06, 08, 10 and likely '01.

I think if the price and producer are right consider a '90, but I think that vintage with a few exceptions lacks the lift and something special of the best vintages. I also think that prices for 90s can be disproportionately high for their intrinsic quality. I think many can be outstanding but lack the balance of 89. I also doubt most 90s will get any better, and many are starting what I suspect will be a slow decline.

With a couple exceptions, I would not buy 97, 00, 02, 03, 07, 09.

Happy hunting!

1 Like

I’ve been buying '13s, but that’s not quite as far back as you’re talking about

In terms of approachability, affordability and availability I think 2005 frequently gets overlooked. No it is not at the same quality level as 01,04, 06 or even 08, but I think many of the finest wines have turned out better than originally expected.

OMG! I concur in every single thing you said. [wow.gif]

1 Like

None. I prefer to look forward rather than backward.

Don’t know about backfilling, but crikey I am frontfilling a hell of a lot of 2016!

1 Like

When visiting Piemonte in 2015, many producers were pouring different vintages from 2008-2011. All the vintages were great except for 2009s, which were virtually always heavier, more alcoholic and often rather raisiny in character compared to the others. And it became more obvious after each visit when 2009 was virtually always the vintage sticking out from the bunch.

I’ve had some successful 2009s as well, but the chances really don’t seem to favor the vintage - at least I wouldn’t start stocking them up blind, without getting a chance to taste the wine first.

Yes, when I was last there, in 2016, I was struck by how many 2009s were still on the shelves of stores in Alba.

1978, 1985, 1996, 1999, 2001, 2004.

I think we’re in pretty clear agreement on which vintages to seek. Availability is another matter entirely. The very high end is out there, and somewhat wildly priced. However, the very good mid-tier and lesser wines that drink nicely early are stunningly absent from the market. If you could find top quality Langhe Nebbiolo or Classicos from 2008, 2010, 2013 that would be worth snapping up.

Oh, I agree, Otto, and was just mentioning the '09 Oddero because it seemed more balanced than I expected. But I did have the chance to try it first and enjoyed it. If I could have my choice, I’d look for '96, '99, '01, '04 and '08 like everyone else. As somone else mentioned above, the '05s and '06s might not generally be up to the same level as these vintages, but there were some really nice wines made that might be more forward right now.

2006 not up to the same level? To me, it has been probably the best post-millennium vintage in almost all regions in Italy, Piedmont included. Stunning Nebbiolos from that vintage; many have been very youthful - some almost backward - for their age. Definitely stuff for the long haul.

Judging from the unrivaled quality of 2016 its the vintage to purchase
I would also backfill 1970, 1971, 1978, 1985, 1988, 1989

I think 2013 will be a great vintage for the longer haul and it’s gotten somewhat overlooked between 2010 and 2016 now. It’s definitely hyped but not as highly as these two. I’ve gotten some good deals on 2013s lately as a result. Had a 2013 Vajra VdB last Friday that was stunning.

1 Like