Dureuil-Janthial Rully 2018 red & white

First experience with both. Spoiler alert: quite happy.

2018 Dureuil-Janthial Rully - France, Burgundy, Côte Chalonnaise, Rully (4/10/2021)
Apéritif before the red from the same producer. Pop and pour, a little cold initially. The nose is rather perfumed right from the get-go. I found notes of citrus, underripe pear and some very enjoyable spices and buttered toast. You could even find some vanilla cream notes in there. The palate is interesting with some chewiness (mâche) even though the backbone is acidity and it ends on nice minerality. This shows character and enough fruit to hold the road. I plan on opening one every 2 years until I run out. Good.

2018 Dureuil-Janthial Rully - France, Burgundy, Côte Chalonnaise, Rully (4/10/2021)
Following the white. I don’t know red Rully much so I bought a single bottle to try it out. Big mistake. I was suprised by this wine. The nose shows a very interesting profile: black fruits but with a notable freshness even though you can smell the élevage. The palate is serious: chewiness (mâche), good concentration but with enough acidity and tanins to keep everything lively. This is quite good and I think it can go through the years with grace. I am buying more right now.

Both at 50 CAD. If I had to pick, I would say the red is a better value.

2 Likes

Nice TNs…I never had tried his white and red.

My prefer Rully is from Jaeger-Defaix; but sadly…they do not come every year. The red used to be around $ 38 in 2014. His white were at around $ 42 to $44 for vintage 2014 and 2016.

Since you own multiple bottles of the white…how about matching it with a white Ladoix by Chevalier 2017 at $ 49.75? The Ladoix white does not come here too often and it is from 2017. Jasper Morris ( page 289 Inside Burgundy) calls the whites are the strength of the Domaine ( based in Ladoix) and that they are bright, stylish wines with good concentration.

But personally I much prefer all his reds. They are value wines - when compare the same wines with other producers. The Domaine has only one red G-cru - Corton Le Rognet 2015 (Mgm) was at $264 when other red Cortons ( for sinple bottle of 750 ml) from vintage 2016-2017 at between $160 to $ 180. The last time the simple bottle (of his G-cru) came was for vintage 2013 at $ 138. I still have one bottle of his 2005 ( a $98 ) left.

Without wishing unduly to disparage Chevalier, they are not operating on the same level as Dureuil-Janthial.

Thanks for the alert.

My comments of Chevalier’s whites was a repeat of what was said in page 289 Jasper Morris Inside Burgundy. He also made just the following comments regarding Dureuil Janthial whites ( on page 560 ) : the whites spent one year in wood with about 25 % new then follows by 6 months in tank before bottling.

I have no experience at all with D-Janthial red and white. I may be wrong but I think it is the first time that in Quebec, I saw Dureuil Janthial wines are here.

My comments of Chevalier’s whites was repeated on what was said in page 289 Jasper Morris Inside Burgundy. It took me several years to like Chevalier’s wines as they are not easy-to-like wines. I forced myself to learn and to love them due to value. I may also like to add : Ladoix wines are not easy-to-like; but on ripe year ( or like what you prefer to say : Sun-Kiss grapesin 2018 )…the level of qualify between A-Corton and Ladoix disminish a lot. Now when I look at their price, A-Corton is 33% more pricer that Ladoix.

That being said. Your comments are much appreciated [thankyou.gif] flirtysmile . I intend to do a match tasting …if possible…for vintage 2018 of : Ladoix ( blanc ) by Chevalier vs D-Janthial - Rully ( blanc). I do not know if that would be possible as 2018 Chevalier Ladoix red was released few months ago but not yet for the white. There is also a possibility it may not come. [drinkers.gif]

Do keep us posted if you can Peter. I’d love to know the outcome of this comparison.

Day 2 on the Rully white: the acidity has slightly subsided giving more place to the fruit. A touch of smoke even appears on the nose. Even better on day 2. Next bottle, I will give it more air and time.

Your TNs on the white mirrored my experience with Chevalier Ladoix (blanc) 2017 - as it softened a lot the next evening. Most enjoyable the 2nd evening and was really singing on the 3rd. It needs more and plenty of air and plenty of time. It concentration for a simple village …is unbelievable.

Despite the fact that both the D-Janthial Rully are available at many places, I did not wish to chance it and ordered on-line the red already.

It is interesting to note SAQ-web showed William rated 91 points and Le Maitre de Chai in the importer.

I will do a match-tasting with Des Croix A-Corton Les Boutieres 2018 ( at $63 - my prefer go-to red ). Most likely in the Fall 2021 so as to let the red Rully settle-down. Judging from the comments by Willaim and reading the the TNS by Meadows…there is a good chance the red is a nice find for me [cheers.gif] .

For the white, I needed to make a trip as it is not on-line.

I do not own any mid-price whites from France from vintage 2018 ( as they are supposedly-riper then 2017) …but I will do some match-tasting with my go-to whites from vintage 2017 for examples : Ladoix ( blanc ) at $50); or Bouchard Beaue 1er cru at $53.25. Needless to say most likely in the Fall also.