TN: 2019 Halcon Vineyards Esquisto (USA, California, North Coast, Yorkville Highlands)

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Jay Miller
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

TN: 2019 Halcon Vineyards Esquisto (USA, California, North Coast, Yorkville Highlands)

#1 Post by Jay Miller »

• 2019 Halcon Vineyards Esquisto - USA, California, North Coast, Yorkville Highlands (4/7/2021)
    My first bottle from the Berserkerday purchase and my first Halcon. I decided to get the grenache out of the way early on so I could focus on the more interesting wines (this is 80% grenache, 20% syrah).

Remarkably fresh dark cherry fruit on the nose. Long earthy dark raspberries on the palate. I struggle to hate this wine and thereby confirm my grape variety prejudices but enjoy it too much and eventually abandon the effort. The 11.2% alcohol prevents the intensity of flavor from becoming tiring until well into a third glass. A bit magnificent in its way.

If this is what they do with a grape I actively dislike I'm a little scared to try their 100% syrahs.
Posted from CellarTracker
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

Greg K
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: TN: 2019 Halcon Vineyards Esquisto (USA, California, North Coast, Yorkville Highlands)

#2 Post by Greg K »

Jay Miller wrote: April 7th, 2021, 7:38 am
  • 2019 Halcon Vineyards Esquisto - USA, California, North Coast, Yorkville Highlands (4/7/2021)
    My first bottle from the Berserkerday purchase and my first Halcon. I decided to get the grenache out of the way early on so I could focus on the more interesting wines (this is 80% grenache, 20% syrah).

Remarkably fresh dark cherry fruit on the nose. Long earthy dark raspberries on the palate. I struggle to hate this wine and thereby confirm my grape variety prejudices but enjoy it too much and eventually abandon the effort. The 11.2% alcohol prevents the intensity of flavor from becoming tiring until well into a third glass. A bit magnificent in its way.

If this is what they do with a grape I actively dislike I'm a little scared to try their 100% syrahs.
Posted from CellarTracker
Thanks for the note Jay. I'm also not a huge grenache fan, but almost opened this yesterday too. Instead chose to try a Schiavenza 2016 Barolo which I enjoyed considerably less than you did the Esquisto since it felt too overripe to me in a Canonica type of way.
Greg Kahn

Markus S

Re: TN: 2019 Halcon Vineyards Esquisto (USA, California, North Coast, Yorkville Highlands)

#3 Post by Markus S »

Jay Miller wrote: April 7th, 2021, 7:38 am ... I decided to get the grenache out of the way early on so I could focus on the more interesting wines (this is 80% grenache, 20% syrah).
Not in the Rayas Club, eh?
$ _ € ® e . k @

Jay Miller
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#4 Post by Jay Miller »

Markus S wrote: April 7th, 2021, 8:09 am
Jay Miller wrote: April 7th, 2021, 7:38 am ... I decided to get the grenache out of the way early on so I could focus on the more interesting wines (this is 80% grenache, 20% syrah).
Not in the Rayas Club, eh?
I usually prefer their Fonsalettes (not that I can afford either anymore) but it's another exception. As is ESJ R&G. And pre-1995 Chateauneuf.

Vince T
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by Vince T »

Hi Jay, I had popped this a couple months back for the exact same reason - get it "out of the way". I followed it over 4 days and loved it - exotically un-grenache in many ways. One note - the alc is 14.2%, not 11.2% -- which is probably why you still still got fatigue by glass 3. I checked the bottle - the type is tiny and I had to squint hard to confirm!
T s 3 n g

Jay Miller
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#6 Post by Jay Miller »

Vince T wrote: April 7th, 2021, 8:36 am Hi Jay, I had popped this a couple months back for the exact same reason - get it "out of the way". I followed it over 4 days and loved it - exotically un-grenache in many ways. One note - the alc is 14.2%, not 11.2% -- which is probably why you still still got fatigue by glass 3. I checked the bottle - the type is tiny and I had to squint hard to confirm!
You're right, that is a 4! Should have put on my glasses blush

Exotic is the mot juste.

Return to “Wine Talk”