TN 2007 Zind Humbrecht Clos Windsbuhl Gewurztraminer

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Noah C

TN 2007 Zind Humbrecht Clos Windsbuhl Gewurztraminer

#1 Post by Noah C »

Incredibly intense and aromatic- everything you love about a well made Gewurztraminer and then some. This wine leans more towards the fruity/floral end than the spicy end, but it's all there. It wears the 14 years like a champ with fantastic complexity from age but retaining all the vigor of youth. This has not lost an ounce of energy. The concentration is just incredible, like drinking liquid gold!

And yet....it is just too sweet to be a table wine. At least for me. I popped this open as a special occasion wine to accompany Easter dinner. My Easter dinner was NOT subtle; it was full of big flavors like a hunk of honey-baked ham, oven roasted potatoes, delicata squash. And still this wine just dominated everything. A small-med sized glass was all I could handle. This is my first Clos Windsbuhl, so maybe my expectations were a little out of line, but this wasn't really good for the dinner table, in my opinion. I would love to have this as a sipper at the end of a dinner, like a Sauternes or Tokaji. That would be beautiful- good thing there is plenty left!
Looking for wine friends in New Haven, CT! Message me if interested in sharing some drinks. Noah C @ p u r 5 0

Brian Pinci
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: TN 2007 Zind Humbrecht Clos Windsbuhl Gewurztraminer

#2 Post by Brian Pinci »

Thanks for the note. I love ZH Gewurtz! It is difficult pairing them with food. I like with spicy Thai food but even then wines like the Clos Windsbuhl would dominate. That is definitely a sipper.
Brian Pinci

Noah C

Re: TN 2007 Zind Humbrecht Clos Windsbuhl Gewurztraminer

#3 Post by Noah C »

Update: There about 2/3 of a bottle left after dinner and I have been enjoying the remainder just as I suggested: as a dessert wine at the end of a meal and it is fabulous. It is an amazing pairing with a bowl of fresh fruit, esp fresh berries, after a meal!
Looking for wine friends in New Haven, CT! Message me if interested in sharing some drinks. Noah C @ p u r 5 0

Return to “Wine Talk”