Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Richard T r i m p i
GCC Member
GCC Member
Location: Within walking distance of William Penn's Walking Purchase

TN: 2018 Edi Keber Collio DOC Bianco

#1 Post by Richard T r i m p i »

2018 Edi Keber Collio DOC Bianco
The exploration of Italian whites continues. Floral and mineral aromas with soft green herbs and an auspicious lively attack, minerals, yuzu, pear, pineapple, subtle gooseberry. This is a blend of Friulano, Malvasia and Ribolla Gialla. Excellent acidic balance. The midpalate starts with flair, dancing along until easing in to a soft shoe-ed finish. Reportedly fermented and matured in cement vats. There are layers of interest here. 13% abv and showing only the barest hints of warmth. 350 years of family winemaking history with 60+ years at this property. I would gladly revisit this wine at the $30 price point.

RT

Tvrtko C.

Re: TN: 2018 Edi Keber Collio DOC Bianco

#2 Post by Tvrtko C. »

Excellent stuff. Very high levels of both drinkability and interest year-in year-out. One of my go-to Friuli whites.
C=Cernos

Saul Mutchnick
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: TN: 2018 Edi Keber Collio DOC Bianco

#3 Post by Saul Mutchnick »

That wine is so good every vintage—one of the best deals in Friuli for its combination of deliciousness+complexity, IMO. They age nicely over the short term, as well (and I suspect longer, but my experiments on that front are still sleeping), if you can keep your hands off them.
ITB - Championship Bottle [Mostly White Wines from the Willamette Valley]

TomHill
GCC Member
GCC Member

Skin-Contact??

#4 Post by TomHill »

Richard T r i m p i wrote: April 5th, 2021, 2:57 pm 2018 Edi Keber Collio DOC Bianco
The exploration of Italian whites continues. Floral and mineral aromas with soft green herbs and an auspicious lively attack, minerals, yuzu, pear, pineapple, subtle gooseberry. This is a blend of Friulano, Malvasia and Ribolla Gialla. Excellent acidic balance. The midpalate starts with flair, dancing along until easing in to a soft shoe-ed finish. Reportedly fermented and matured in cement vats. There are layers of interest here. 13% abv and showing only the barest hints of warmth. 350 years of family winemaking history with 60+ years at this property. I would gladly revisit this wine at the $30 price point.
RT
Was this wine made with any skin-contact that you could tell, Richard?? Your TN doesn't seem to indicate any.
Tom

Richard T r i m p i
GCC Member
GCC Member
Location: Within walking distance of William Penn's Walking Purchase

Re: Skin-Contact??

#5 Post by Richard T r i m p i »

TomHill wrote: April 7th, 2021, 1:41 pm
Richard T r i m p i wrote: April 5th, 2021, 2:57 pm 2018 Edi Keber Collio DOC Bianco
RT
Was this wine made with any skin-contact that you could tell, Richard?? Your TN doesn't seem to indicate any.
Tom
I believe the answer is yes, but it didn't strike me as appreciable. Any associated bitterness is pretty minor IMHO. There's decent mouthfeel/texture through the midpalate. The finish isn't tannic.

RT

Return to “Wine Talk”